Old Baseline Lookout - Day Trip - July 9, 2016

Started by Red90, June 10, 2016, 07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Red90

Off road day trip to the Old Baseline Lookout.

Meet at the trail head at Saturday, July 9, 2016 11:00
https://goo.gl/maps/qTg4gQVHBaE2
N52° 09.287' W115° 27.028'
51.1 km south on 752 from Rocky Mountain House.  10.6 km north of highway 40.

This is a short and scenic off road trip to the site of an old lookout tower.  There may be some rutted sections to work through at the bottom, then a long steep climb up to the top.  After work through the trees onto the scree, there is a short side slope section to a nice spot to enjoy the views and have lunch.  It should be a pretty scratch free trail.

Photos of previous trips:
http://s203.photobucket.com/user/alberta_land_rover_enthusiast/slideshow/ALRE%202011%20Baseline%20Lookout?sort=3
http://s203.photobucket.com/user/alberta_land_rover_enthusiast/slideshow/ALRE%202014%20Baseline%20Tower%20Picnic%20at%20the%20top?sort=3

binch

Cheers, Bill

B-Red

One week to go for this trip. Who's going from Edmonton?
Emad

binch

This is a great trip for near stock vehicles ;)
Cheers, Bill

Red90

This is on for tomorrow.  Should be a fun trip for all.  There are some people camping nearby tonight and a convoy group coming from Edmonton.

binch

please post pics for those of us not able to make it out  ;)
Cheers, Bill

Red90

What a wild trip.  Huge thunderstorm with torrential rain hail and lightning strikes on top of us on the way up.

Matt H

Wow! Sounds like crazy weather.. Any pictures to share?
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

There should be quite a few around.  My team is still working hard in post production.

There were nine trucks.  The weather broke enough for some pictures at the top.

Emad had some fun on the way to the start with a massive blowout on the #2 and I think there were a few bumps and bruises with the tight exit from the trees at the top.

B-Red

Well, this turned out to be an awesome event.  Good fun and hair skin crawls had by all.  The Edmonton convoy was split. Kerwin and family camped the night before so he did not travel down with us. Four Discoverys and one land cruiser lid the way south tot he trail head.  We started the day with steam in the engine with Orville' Disco.  That was quickly fixed in the good old fashion way: Contact Cement and mighty Duct Tape.
The drive down was fun and steady at a 110 km/hr along the Q2. Then off on 11A around Sylvan Lake and on to Rocky Mountain House.
Along that last leg, Abdurrahim mentioned hat the car was vibrating.  I told him to spot the tire on his side through the mirror and I will spot my side. He mentioned that it looks going low so I radioed Steve with he Cb that we will be pulling over at a safe stop to check air.  Two minute later, BOOM. The right side passenger tire blew up. Abdurrahim was driving and since neither one of us experienced a tire blow out at 100km/hr before in an SUV, to was lets say fun.  The car started to fish tail and Abdurrahim was trying to avoid going in the steep ditch on the right.  the car then cut across the two lanes in the opposite traffic and spun into the ditch and ended up at 90 degrees facing the road.  Fortunately the opposite traffic did stop as we where about 200 feet away from them when it started spinning.  One lady came out and checked on us.  We were ok, just shaken.
Orville was ahead of me and he came back then the rest of the crew. 
Then it was a tire change exercise.  The Inflatable Jack failed to operate. I think the AMT was quite hard on it lol.  The Hi Lift jack came to the rescue. The fellow were fantastic in helping out and we where back on the road.
One thought went in my mind as the vehicle was spinning out of control was we are going to roll over and I just blood put a new engine in it. Funny what you think off when stuff like this happens lol.
The trial ride did prove to be challenging with the hail and the rain.  Mud pools formed and the trail ledges became softer.  Not a good spot for people with fear of heights.
Some pictures I managed to get with he wet weather.

binch

Holy cow....a real adventure this time hahahhhha    good to see no one was hurt and everyone made it home for dinner ;-)

I really like that video clip John!    Lily looked happy as a lark in there ;-)     was all that hail from up on the mountain...?
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Matt H

Looks like I missed an interesting trip. Great pic's.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.