Alexander MacKenzie Trail (mid/late August) - CANCELLED

Started by binch, February 07, 2016, 03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

binch

Well...now that all the trees on thetrail have have been knocked back I'm very looking at doing the Alexander MacKenzie Trail another go.....but at a bit more leisurely pace for a spot of fishing.    This is full on expedition travel so both participants and vehicles must be prepped! 

This trip is dependant on club interest and fire season.   The trip will run from Saturday Aug 20 to Aug 28, depending on interest.   There is a maximum number of vehicle for this trip so start thinking  ;)

If you are interested please let me know and I'll start planning things..... 8)
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

*Raises hand*

I'll go again. Trip of a lifetime, and worth doing twice  ;D
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

B-Red

I think you will need one of those Bill. Can be used effectively for cutting high dead fall and even quick tent setup. I am sure Princes Auto has a kit.

binch

how about we just use something like D6 dozer with a brush cage and high cut blade.   That will sort that damned alder out that's for sure!!!!!
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

If it were the first week of August I'd be in but sadly all my holidays will be used up by then.
Have fun.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

tacomaj

We have a small group going through August 26-sept-3-4. Looking forward to doing it, and loved all your guys pics from last year!

Red90

For anyone interested, my map for the trail and area can be found here: http://albertatrailmaps.ca/AMHT/

I will work out an update based on last year's trip sometime before summer.

binch

thanks John!    I might be good to show the leg going off to the home ranch (from Mike and Linda's place) as a separate leg.   The Home Ranch was fenced off by new owner and the old buildings all raised to the ground....for liability reasons.
Cheers, Bill

Red90

You bet.  Any other useful information to add?

binch

Do you have the route map that trevor made of the trip this year?   It may have some different detail in there......     We missed the vehicle section of the trail west of the indian village that we drove through.   Finding the correct trail proved a bit difficult there so we ended up on the foot trail north of the river until it met up with the vehicle trail crossing again a couple of miles west of the village.   The foot trail section just before the junction of the trails has a very tricky section on a steep cross slope and right on the shoreline there.

The small bridge that we took the picture of all the cars on.....it's gone now.   The ford is just south of the bridge footings.   

And the alder section is a million times thicker then it was in 2008 with bigger stems and the area has spread.

That's all I can think of at this time, but I'll see what else I can remember.   ;-)
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

The long winch through the bog at the end of the trail can be bypassed. That was quite memorable...in a very good way.

"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

Hi Gang, 

I've had interest from Trevor and Claus so far.......anyone else interested in a bit of a Camel Trophy, BC style?
Cheers, Bill

binch

I'm hearing chatter.....I can hear folks thinking about the adventure ;)
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Did you send out a club email?  Only about half the members are on here and half of those not very often.  It might help if you set the dates....

binch

Yeah, once upon a time but I'll send another note out and see what stirs ;)
Cheers, Bill