January 20th 2024 Ghost falls trip

Started by Chris, December 29, 2023, 08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

• Ghost falls

Chris

alright Jan 13th20th we will be headed to Ghost falls for an afternoon of snow, water crossings and maybe a fire if we got some time and if the weather cooperates!!!  the Trail head is on highway 40, if you google map "turn to ghost" that's the trail head.

Jan 13th, meet at Petro Canada in Cochrane (23 heartland boulevard) for around 930AM. We leave the gas station @ 10. We will be at the trail head by 11, airing down and adding chains if anyone wishes to add chains. We should be at the falls probably between 12 and 1230, depends how much we want to stop for pictures and if we get stuck ETC. at that point we will make a group decision to have a fire, there's some areas to park near the falls with a few makeshift fire pits out of rocks in the area we can surly use.
please comment or send me a message if you're coming and if you're bringing a friend/family members vehicle so I have a rough idea of vehicle's that will be coming.

This is typically stock friendly, NO extra gas is needed, just fill up at the petro and you will be good to go. with the lack of snow this will likely be stock friendly unless we can some crazy snow storms coming in. I think its a good idea to set a -20 temp cancel on the trip. If the day time high does not get warmer then -20 I think its best to postpone as nobody wants to deal with frozen brakes from the water crossings.

For comms, most people here I think have CB or GMRS, Ill try to get my CB installed by then, but if I don't Ill still have my GMRS with me. if you don't have comms, don't worry, its not the end of the world.

Have a happy new years and I look forward to seeing you all!!!

Damian

Thanks for organizing!  Count me in, I will be at the Petrocan at 9:15 am on the 13th with my defender.  If we want more vehicles let me know I could try to get some others to join.  Will bring chains just in case we end up taking a sporting route.  I have a HAM radio installed, but no CB capability.  Can do VHF or GMRS though.

Looking forward to meeting anyone who's in for the trip.

Damian

JohnnyO

Hi Chris, count me in!  Thanks for organizing.  I have a CB radio.

Happy  New Year everyone.

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luke

Count me in! I only have a GMRS handheld.

Chris

I am sure I am not the only one, but has of now, the long range forecast is not in our favor, I will keep an eye on it in hopes it pushes back a few days, I will post a make or break on Wednesday.

JohnnyO

OK, so I might have to bolt in the front door windows, and throw the canvas over the hood sticks?  I can't see that being a problem!

Red90

Only -43 predicted for Saturday morning.  That should toughen you guys up!

Chris

Quote from: Red90 on January 09, 2024, 10:37 AMOnly -43 predicted for Saturday morning.  That should toughen you guys up!
Hahaha yea what doesn't kill us and makes us miserable as shit only makes us stronger 🤣🤣

Chris

TRIP MOVED TO JAN 20TH.
same time, same location. It'll be -37 overnight without a wind chill on Saturday, thats too cold to wheel in my opinion, you just run into a much greater risk of problems.
The 20th will be -9 overnight with a -2 during the day. So let's move it to the 20th and be able to enjoy being outside the vehicle as much as we will enjoy being inside!!!

Damian

Makes sense to me!  -50 with the windchill is a touch extreme.  Saturday the 20th works for me also.  Although I will need to be back in town by 4:30pm, so may need to take off early depending on how long others want to remain out.  See you next weekend.

Damian

JohnnyO

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it January 20th.  Have fun out there and take lots of pictures!

Chris

Looks like a snow fall warning during the week!!! Time for for some fun this weekend 🤙🤙🤙

Damian

Hey all, just confirming, is this still a go?  As I mentioned I will have to be back before 4, so will need to head back around 1pm (don't mind heading back solo, I know the trail well).  Thanks!

Damian

JohnnyO

My weekend just opened up and I'm able to join the trip on Saturday.  I'm 'in' if this is still a go.

Chris

Still a go, weather says +2 Saturday for a high, im definitely going! Non of this -40 stuff anymore lol
See you all at 930 Saturday morning!!

My numbers 780 216 0447 if you're not able to find the petro canada