Coolant leak?

Started by Tysemmens, February 11, 2018, 12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tysemmens

V8 Discovery 2, Down coolant with no obvious leak. Don't have milky oil. New head gasket replaced a little while ago. Any other ideas of where the coolant went. My reservoir was about half empty below the cold line.

pechanec

White,steamy exhaust? Could be slipped liner. Occasionally happens on newer 4.0 l engines. Head gasket does not fix this problem. That said, if it is not losing coolant more than about 1/2 tank in a week of steady driving, and it is otherwise running acceptably to you, I'd just keep topping it up(coolant is much cheaper than major engine work) untill it gets bad enough to cause running problems. Ours did the same thing(but without a head gasket repair) when we bought it, then eventually went away without any intervention.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

Red90

I would not panic.  It is common to have external leaks that are not visible.  They only happen hot and the coolant evaporates.  Clean the engine really well and later on carefully look around for staining.

Tysemmens

Great thanks for the advise. Yes it runs really well. No issues at all. Exhaust is clear when it is warmed up. I do have small exhaust leak at the gasket from the manifold to the cat. pipe.. So will fix that first.
I have only had the truck for a few months. It has made it to Vancouver and back and got to K-Coutnry every week from Calgary. Problem free.

binch

How much is it leaking?   Down and inch or so every week or two...or is it worse then that?   After checking your hose connections there are three likely locations to check: 

1.   The plastic T connection for the coolant pipe over the top of the fan cowling...check for hair line cracks as they are notorious for that!   But there's a very good solution to it...if that's the problem.

2.  The throttle body heater, located under the Mass Air Flow sensor.   Check for weeping on the front of the throttle body heater gasket, and stains on the front-outside of the left (number one cylinder) valve cover.   Another VERY common place to lose coolant as the body warps with heat and fails regularly.   Stand by for a VERY good improvement part coming out over the next month.

3.  Check your rad for leaks.

If now joy in that have the coolant check for Carbon monoxide gas...cheap test but good indicator for more serious problems.    On a hot engine it only takes 15minutes.
Cheers, Bill

Tysemmens

So I just drove 100km today. Didn't loose any coolant. But possible seeping from heater plate. As there was a little ice build up. -26 this morning.
Also from as you suggested a little wet around some hoses and pooling. Not sure if it's coolant or not. Will clean it up and see.
Attached are the photos front of engine on bank 2 side. (Passenger side)
I did notice frothy oil today under the oil cap. Looks like a hydro carbon test is in order.
Any one around calgary area have experience and willingness to help replace HG

binch

I'm not really seeing anything in the pics  :-\       Is your over flow tank intact (does it have a crack at all)?   Another place to look.
Cheers, Bill

bumpydormobile

Mine has started weeping from the frost plugs on the passenger side...

Tysemmens

I was thinking the frost plugs as well. But don't know where they are. Any info on where to find them easily. I seem to be going through about 200-300ml every 500 k maybe.
Running really well so not super concerned.

binch

I noticed a leak in the upper left corner (from the drivers seat) of my rad  on my last oil change.....very slight weep but I still had a to add a bit every couple of weaks.   So I replaced the rad and everything is hunky dory now!   347K km on it now and still runs okay.....
Cheers, Bill