Off roading in Grande Cache ?

Started by RWAYOUT, June 20, 2016, 10:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RWAYOUT

Just curious if anyone has been up around Grande Cache area and done any offroading ?
Ive been looking at heading up there for a weekend and it looks like a beautiful part of the province . I haven't checked my topo maps yet or anything and I just wanted to know if there is any feedback on it.
THanks !!
2001 Range Rover HSE 4.6
EAS works !

binch

I hear there are some great trails up in that area, some going into the alpine with spectacular views.   Unfortunately I'm not familiar with any of them.   The only area I know up there is the Brule Lake area.
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

There's a lot of trails in the area, but I've yet to explore there either. There's a big wheeling event called ACE held in Grande Cache around mid-August every year. It's hosted by TNT, who I believe do quite a bit of trail maintenance in that region and work fairly closely with SRD.

"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

Quote from: Trevor on June 20, 2016, 09:57 PM
There's a lot of trails in the area, but I've yet to explore there either. There's a big wheeling event called ACE held in Grande Cache around mid-August every year. It's hosted by TNT, who I believe do quite a bit of trail maintenance in that region and work fairly closely with SRD.

Might be worth chatting with those folks.   Working with the locals to stay on the proper trails and keep the peace with all concerned.
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Just don't go on August long due to the Death Race.

ugly_90

I talked to some guys at work, it seems there are a few trails around there that the Jeep guys use. The Grande Cache visitors centre is helpful, and gave me a map last time I was there on local trails.

Most are walking, bicycle or horseback only, especially those in the Willmore Wilderness, where motorized vehicles aren't allowed. Willmore Wilderness is nearby one side of the town. Some trails that may be of interest are beaverdam road to sheep creek north of town. That one appears to be a gravel road that enters an ATV trail. You'd have to check with the locals to see where a Landrover fits in, i've seen some trails that prohibit highway vehicles, but allow ATV's.

Another one is Hells gate, I don't have a note on the trail for that one, but there are several instances shown online.

If you're getting to Grande Cache, it can be tough right now. There's lots of construction on HWY 40, and more on the FTR (Forestry Trunk Road). There are many free camping areas off the FTR, some run as provincial rec area, others by the forestry companies.

the FTR was quite rough on Friday when I was there on the GP side. 40 km of solid potholes, big mud holes on the road where semis were getting bogged down, it was wet. Out today near Musreau and Kakwa, just north of Grande Cache, it was much drier, and the roads were dusty.

B-Red

Dead Horse Meadows Is a spot that is 90 km from Grand Cache. Has camping on it. It is identified as ATV or OHV use. I have not done it myself. Just found it on line.

RWAYOUT

Yea I was looking at getting up there this fall. Its a beautiful spot with plenty of stuff to explore.
2001 Range Rover HSE 4.6
EAS works !