New Defenders to be built but not from where you'd expect.

Started by RossM, October 26, 2016, 06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red90

$81000 for the 110.

B-Red

I guess we have to quickly run to the dealership, pitch a tent, and wait to be first in line to order one.
A Go Fund me link will be added soon.
I wonder what the 35" tires option looks like, with an adventure basket and roof tent.
Oh wait....should one get the 90 or the 110!!!?
Off course, you can source an LR2 or Freelander with similar looks for cheaper price  ;-)

Rambler

1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

Trevor

"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

headdamage

Matt H

$81,000???  Yikes. I'm not surprised though. A new Discovery sport can cost over $72K.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

Quote from: headdamage on September 08, 2019, 11:45 PM
The last picture looks Photoshoped.

It is a lot less hassle than actually trying to drive it somewhere.

B-Red

Trevor

Quote from: B-Red on September 10, 2019, 05:17 AM
Richard Hammond review. MOAB will be awesome in this one

https://youtu.be/vac6mJE8rqo

I would suspect the Defender would do quite well in Moab. Seems to be an evolution of the LR3/LR4/Sport construction, which are very capable there. And the obvious benefit of comfort as well.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Matt H

Looks like the "90" unit has steel wheels of a more realistic size.

To be honest, I don't hate it. No way as bad as feared, in fact it has turned out better than I hoped. New yes. Different very. But I liked the Disco 3/4 and this looks like it could do much the same job.

Roll on the testing and comparisons!
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

headdamage

I would make a nice alternative to a Subaru or other similar SUV and if I was looking for a car and had bags of money I didn't need I'd consider it but it is not a replacement for a real Defender/Land Rover. Rover should have called it the Beagle, Endeavor, New Horizon, or something other than Defender. It is going to make internet searches a pita in future when looking for real Defender items.

Red90

Even stupider is keeping the 90, 110 and 130 model names.

I'm nobody to ask as I think spending more than $30k on any vehicle ever is insanity.

Trevor

Quote from: Matt H on September 10, 2019, 12:39 PM
Looks like the "90" unit has steel wheels of a more realistic size.

To be honest, I don't hate it. No way as bad as feared, in fact it has turned out better than I hoped. New yes. Different very. But I liked the Disco 3/4 and this looks like it could do much the same job.

Roll on the testing and comparisons!

It kinda landed where I thought it might. As you note, it could have been a lot worse (re: see first prototype). It's a follow-on of the LR 3's and 4's which isn't really a bad thing. They are decent rigs and a gap exists in their offerings since the demise of the LR's. From a marketing perspective they added a lot more "character" with the Defender pedigree as it were. That will help sell some I would suspect.

It is the final nail in the coffin for those that hoped LR would compete in the space they created, and try and challenge Jeep Wrangler as the top dog for the "lifestyle" market. What has been created of course is not a Defender, and I think we all knew it never was going to be a Defender in the true sense. That ship sailed loooong before Land Rover shut down the production line.   

One real positive though...at least it doesn't look exactly like some Ford offering!
― George Orwell, 1984