Utah Trip Ideas

Started by SpeedyJ, December 18, 2016, 10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpeedyJ

Hello all, I'm looking for some ideas on an off-road trip in Utah.

First a little background, I've been going down to the Moab/Fruita area yearly for about twelve years for mountain bike trips, the first nine years were in cars, the last three in our LX470 (100 series Land Cruiser). We've done the White Rim trail twice now and have enjoyed it, but we'd like to expand our repertoire a bit, so were looking for a similar type of trip - 2 to 4 days, mild off-road with good views, hikes, etc...

This year we're in our new to us 2009 LR3, it's completely stock right now, but I hope to add some adjustable lift rods for this trip. My capable partner Zoe will be doing most of the driving while I ride with my son. She was good on White Rim, she drove everything except part of the Hogback and a narrow section close to the river. We'll be there the third week of April, I'm pretty familiar with the range of weather that we might encounter. Given my luck with spring storms lower elevations are a good idea, the wet snow turns the clay into some wicked peanut butter.

I know that there are other trips in the Needles and Maze areas, but a point in the right direction would help. further south, south west could be interesting.

Thanks in advance.

-Jeff

Matt H

Talk to Trevor. I think he has done most of the 4x4 trails in that area.
The LR3's I saw back in 2014 worked extremely well down there.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

SpeedyJ

Thanks Matt, I was thinking he might pipe up.

Trevor

Trips that long are not something I've done down in that area. The bulk of the wheeling I do down there are the trials in and around Moab itself. We've done some 2- day trips, but that's it.

I know there are a few cross-Utah overlanding trips, but I'll have to check with some friends in the area to see if I can get a few more details for you.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

SpeedyJ

Thanks Trevor,

I've booked campsites on White Rim just to ensure we've got a fall back plan. The reservation system open up 4 months to the day, the good sites are gone in a few hours.

Cheers

Jeff

Trevor

We're planning on running White Rim when I am down there in May. It's one of the few trails I have not done yet.

Which campsite do you prefer on that trail...there's what, 3 or 4 you can book at?

I've got some emails out regarding overlanding routes. I'll let you know when I hear something back.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

SpeedyJ

Cool, it's a great family trip. here's my run down of the campsites going counter clockwise, be aware, it's to the best of my memory, which isn't perfect:

Shafer: I don't remember this site well, but it should be moderately more sheltered then the next two sites. You can access it via the Shafer switchbacks or Potash road. Potash road is a moderate 4x4 road. It would be a good one to get an early start from though. If you're like me, and leave from town you end up wasting half the day getting final groceries, fueling up and driving to the trail head.

Airport and Gooseberry: Both are on the ledge and exposed, there is no shade and they are close to the road, so you may get dusted out by passing vehicles. I'd pass on these ones.

White Crack: I like this one, it's very exposed, but also very private, off the main road by 1km and has amazing views.

Hogsback: It's almost at the mid point of the trail, so if you're trying to split your days evenly it's a good choice. It's popular with the guided 4x4 groups. It's at a high point on the trail (a little ridge on the shelf that most of the trail follows). There is moderate scrub brush, it would be my second choice to White Crack for the first site.

Candlestick: I can't picture this one right now.

Potato Bottom: It's down at river lever (but doesn't have easy river access), large trees, relatively sheltered, very sandy, but far enough off the road to be ok. We've stayed at this one and enjoyed.

Hardscrabble: Very similar to Potato Bottom. The deciding factor here is that there is a technical section of trail between Potato and Hardscarbble, so do you want to do that at the end of the day (in the dark if you're behind schedule) or first thing in the morning. The trail in question is steep and rocky with narrow ledges, if you go slow in dry weather it's easy, but if it rains....

Labyrinth: There aren't any trees here, but it's sheltered by the cliffs above. River access is easy, the sites are close to the road, but not as dusty as other places.

Taylor Camp: It's at the end of a spur road up a canyon, sheltered by the cliffs with a bit of scrub around it. It should be very quiet.

The first time I did it I was only able to get a reservation at Labyrinth, so I drove most of the trail in a day solo. You can do it in a day, but your passengers will hate you, plus you'll be dusting out other trail users.

The second time was with the full family, I did some driving and some riding. We stayed at White Crack and Potato Bottom. It was an ok pace, but didn't leave much time for hikes. When riding by myself I can maintain a similar pace to a 4x4. What I loose on the uphills and sand I can make up for on the descents.

This year we're going to take our time, I've booked White Crack and Potato Bottom as well as Taylor. This should allow the rest of the family more time out of the truck hiking, hanging out, etc...

Rain is really the biggest threat here, the primary accesses in and out are up tremendous switchbacks that become peanut butter in the rain. I think Zoe was pretty sketched out by the drive up and out after it rained on us. I rode, but had to stop twice to remove the wheel from my bike, the clay was building up so badly the wheel wouldn't turn. We did the final 10 miles out with the stability control light flashing at us while I tried to maintain momentum in the slop.

Be aware this is a popular mountain bike trip so proper trail etiquette is a must. It may be necessary to wait for a wide spot to pass sometimes.  That sais, almost without exception users tend to be much more mellow and friendly this far off the beaten path.

Have fun!

Trevor

Thanks for the info Jeff. I believe we're planning on camping at White Crack, which seems to line up well with your recommendations. I'll pass this info on to our trip organizer.

I've not received any info back on cross Utah overland routes yet. I'll let you know once I do.
― George Orwell, 1984

SpeedyJ

Thanks to you too Trevor.

I'm sure you know this, but just in case others are following this thread, I'd like to recommend bringing a shelter that you can cook under. It's the difference between surviving and being comfortable at both extremes - snow to sun. It's a useful piece of kit in Alberta, doubly so in Utah.

Trevor

Quote from: SpeedyJ on December 21, 2016, 10:16 AM
Thanks to you too Trevor.

I'm sure you know this, but just in case others are following this thread, I'd like to recommend bringing a shelter that you can cook under. It's the difference between surviving and being comfortable at both extremes - snow to sun. It's a useful piece of kit in Alberta, doubly so in Utah.

Yes indeed. Being able to get of the sun is a very good thing in the desert.
― George Orwell, 1984