Waiparous Falls Trail Closure

Started by Red90, September 02, 2016, 08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red90

As reported earlier this year, they have closed trails that cross Waiparous Creek, effective August 15.  On a positive note, the winter trail loops north of the creek do not appear to be affected.  The one shown as having a bridge added is a winter truck trail, which "appears" to be losing its truck status.  I would guess the bridge is for quads only.

http://aep.alberta.ca/recreation-public-use/public-land-closures/documents/WaiporousProjectMap-Aug29-2016.pdf

B-Red

I could see how water crossing can impact the creek fish habitat. What is not clear is the term: is it perminant or temporary for a year or two.

The other item is the external partners supporting this project. Do any of these organizations represent the SUV class off-roaders like the Land Rovers and the Jeeps and the Land Cruisrs.

In retrospect, last year's run may be the last for a while :-(

Red90

The closures are permanent.

I discussed the fish impact in another thread.  The short version is that there was a study performed in the past which looked at sedimentation variations with a purpose to investigate vehicle crossing impacts.  The study did not find any correlations with vehicle crossing frequency and found that rainfall events where, by far, the controlling factor.  The crossings in question are rock and gravel.  The closures are not based on science.  The link to the (only) study is posted on another thread.  This closure is the result of political pressure from non-science based groups.

binch

Cheers, Bill