Jack review

Started by Gardenome, December 31, 2015, 12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardenome

Found this at Home Depot. Anyone seen it? Tried it? Good price but don't want crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gardenome

Bought one. I'll let you know.

binch

Looks like a similar set up I bought from Princess auto about 20 years ago, but I didn't get a creeper.    But at that price  I wouldn't have high hopes with the creeper ahhahhahah.    My stands and jack are still going strong but the jack developed a tiny leak this year.....seal must have given up the ghost.   But I have no complaints  ;)
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Usually the 3 ton jack stands are not tall enough for work on a truck.  6 tons ones are better.

ugly_90

If you want a real creeper, you can go with Bill Cosby, or Jared from Subway. ...  :o hehe.

Agreed the six-ton stands are better, and they go on sale on their own at PA. Never seen them as part of a kit, especially for as little as this one.

If you ask nicely to Bruce, he may have some surplus blocking to bring down to you,  extra precaution when working under a vehicle.

Matt H

6 ton jack stands are nice and tall but the base is also very wide and gets in way. I like the smaller jack stands and if I need additional height I place 4x4 blocks underneath but for the most part the 3 ton units are tall enough especially when placed under the axle rather than the chassis.

The jack will be slow and may leak down over time but you shouldn't trust them to hold the truck anyway so that's ok.

The creeper won't last long with regular use. The wheels unscrew themselves and catch against the frame and the floor will need to be 100% clean, an impossibility with dirt falling from a Land Rover. The side rails will also dig into your shoulders. Good creepers are expensive but worth it. But often I end up using the "cheaper creeper" also known as a "zero clearance creeper" i.e. a large piece of cardboard under the truck. I actually prefer it when on a dry floor.

My 2c.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Gardenome

Thanks for the tips. It's mostly the jack I'm concerned about. Tried it today. Not too fussy about the sensitivity of the release mechanism but maybe I just have to get used to it.

camo388

Quote from: Matt H on January 01, 2016, 09:49 AM
The jack will be slow and may leak down over time but you shouldn't trust them to hold the truck anyway so that's ok.

The creeper won't last long with regular use. The wheels unscrew themselves and catch against the frame and the floor will need to be 100% clean, an impossibility with dirt falling from a Land Rover. The side rails will also dig into your shoulders. Good creepers are expensive but worth it. But often I end up using the "cheaper creeper" also known as a "zero clearance creeper" i.e. a large piece of cardboard under the truck. I actually prefer it when on a dry floor.

My 2c.
I second what Matt says.  I also find the cardboard a much better surface to work from.  One can slide right to where you want to be and not have to be annoyed when a wheel hits a piece of dirt /gravel/ what ever on the floor.  It also has the added advantage of absorbing oil if a plug is dripping or container falls over.  Been there, done that and have a discolored Tee shirt to prove it.
Many times the creeper puts me too close to the work and once I nearly cut part of my nose off when I turned my head and very narrowly missed a sharp edge on the frame. :o