Disco 11 Wiper base issue

Started by binch, January 17, 2016, 09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

binch

Hi gang,

I was chatting with Bert (over at the sports car center in Edmonton) and he was doing a pre-sale inspection on a disco 11.    When they tried the wipers they noticed the base of the wiper arm was floating a bit free so they pulled things apart to investigate further....turns out there was a bit of rust in there.   I asked him to do a bit of a write up on it so we could share the issue and solution with the folks in the club.  Here's what he wrote:

"We got a Disco in for a inspection and one of the noticeable problems was the amount of free-play in the wiper mechanism, further inspection pointed towards wiper motor holder mounting plate,

From the factory this is a metal plate and the mount for both wiper gears is spot welded onto this plate.  As it turns out this is a moisture trap.   This plate was complete corroded and the top part where the mount was welded on was completely rusted out, with no metal left...... so the wiper mechanism was flopping in the wind.

The solution was to fabricate a new mounting plate out of aluminium, grinded of the old spot welds of the bracket, paint the bracket, fit the plate plus the original rubber seal onto the vehicle.  After this we bolted the wiper mount onto the vehicle using the existing holes in the bracket and the studs in the fire wall, with a rubber seal between the bracket and the aluminium plate.

To make sure that the bracket was located the right way I filled in the two holes with a fender washer and used an even bigger fender washer to secure the bracket and the system works again as it left the factory."

Here are some pics he took for us:

original damage

repair work

Fitting washers

Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Great info Bill, thanks!

Land Rover quality and design strikes again  :o
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Mark

1993 Range Rover County LWB - Ardennes Green
2006 LR3 HSE - Java Black
2008 LR2 HSE - Orkney Grey

1984 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2 - Guards Red