110 jerry can locker doors

Started by camo388, January 15, 2016, 10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

camo388

Bill Inch and I were having a discussion about the jerry can locker doors and Bill was annoyed that the plastic jerry cans were too fat and pushing his locker door out of shape.  I came across some domed Wolf doors on eBay but at 200 Pounds each. :o  Then I found another seller with steel domed doors at 100 Pounds each.  Not so  :o 
Today I took some pictures in to a local welding shop to see if they could give me a cost to build similar doors.  Their cost for the first one is $165, mostly because they thought it would involve more time to experiment to get shape and size.  The second, (or more), could be about $135.  This is using 1/8" aluminum and there would be a savings of $10 to $12 in material costs if made from 14 gauge steel plate instead.  The door would be made to the size of the locker frame but rectangular.  I haven't looked for the latch as shown in the picture but I've seen the same style latches that LR uses at Home Hardware and Lee Valley.  The catch may have to be pop riveted to the body unless the door was notched  to use the catch on the locker frame.

The latch in the picture is LR part no.  MUC8748,  an antiluce latch.

My question is, are there others out there that are interested in locker doors of this shape, as a bulk order may reduce unit price a bit more?

Please contact Bruce Taylor or Bill Inch if you have an interest.

binch

Yup, I'm in for a couple.   Even better is these doors open the opposite direction of my existing doors....less chance of catching on sticks and the like  ;)
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

I don't have a side locker on mine.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

camo388

Quote from: Trevor on January 16, 2016, 08:00 AM

How sad :'(   We do have the technology to fix that situation. ;D

Trevor

Quote from: camo388 on January 16, 2016, 01:23 PM
Quote from: Trevor on January 16, 2016, 08:00 AM

How sad :'(   We do have the technology to fix that situation. ;D

Well I guess I kinda have one, but its called a "rear passenger door" instead :)
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

B-Red

I am interested in two as well.