Transmission Brake

Started by Already a Rover, January 11, 2016, 03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Already a Rover

Hi.  Any tips on how to get the damn springs on the brake shoes??  I see by the manual there should be two different springs, mine were the same, but the PO must have gotten them on somehow.  I'm going to look for one of those springs, which would at least fit over the brake-block better.

Aaarghhh!  Red - I thought you said these trucks were easy to work on!!!  Putting the drive-shaft back on was marginally easier than getting it off at least.

Red90

I usually do the transmission brakes on the bench.  It is just 4 bolts to pull the whole assembly.  Makes it easier to clean and lube the expanders.  Is yours a series 3?  There should be two springs the same. You fit the springs to the shoes off the truck and then mount the shoe/spring assembly to the expanders, one end at a time.  Put one shoe in the slot and pull the other to stretch the spring and insert to the other side.

Terry I

I also fit the springs to the shoes first then muscle one end on at a time .
The IIA uses two different springs, I think I have some spare springs, I'll take a look......

Matt H

If you can its also good practice to have the drum turned and use new shoes and related hardware (springs etc). They are available as kits from most LR suppliers.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Already a Rover

Hi.  I got one of the other springs today at least, and it looks easier to pull on.  Heating up the garage, then will go out and try again, on the truck, as the drive shaft is already on too.

I did it on the bench, then tried putting on the output shaft with the flange and it was not easy either, so decided to do the shoes on the truck, as they are supposed to be replaceable that way.

Jim

Already a Rover

The new spring went on no-problem - it has a single hook on it, so you don't have to pull, bend and twist at the same time.

I hope the spring is strong-enough, no idea what vehicle is was from.  I adjusted the spreader out a bit the shoes are rubbing still, but will play with it some more.

Jim