Rear corner protectors

Started by camo388, December 24, 2015, 02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

camo388

Hello All,
I know I have too much time on my hands when I think about something else to build for my Defender.
I've been looking at rear corner protectors and wondering if anyone has fitted them and what the think about them.
Google shows me several versions so there must be pros and cons,
Looking forward to any comments.

Thanks,  Bruce

binch

Those both look pretty good, but they don't seem to stick out quite as far as the exmod bumperettes which I currently have.   I like that bit of overhang to protect against rear impacts on corners (especially lights) and they also let me hang the truck from it when the coming off steep bits.   Plus....my spare tire carrier utilizes the bumperette in it's design  ;D
Cheers, Bill

camo388

I think they are designed more for body protection at the side rather than from the rear.  As your example "coming off steep bits".
One could double up corner protection by bolting them on first before bolting the bumperettes, as they use the same holes.
Is that area behind the wheel worth trying to protect or is this protector more for show??

Red90

It is worth protecting. I beat up those panels fairly often.     On a 110 it is much worse. As Bill says it is nice to have them extend a bit more behind the truck to pretext the lights and it gives a place to step up on when needed.

camo388

Sounds like I should carry on with my pen and paper exercise.  On paper it should be easy enough to add the bumperettes to the corner protectors and while I'm at it, a spare tire carrier too. ::)
When it comes time to build, I have a cutting torch and various hammers so I can make it work. ;D

headdamage

I've got ones like these on my 90 and they have worked quite well:

ugly_90

Not to throw a fly in the soup here, but is there any thought to tubular steel protectors? Tubular steel might absorb more impact than flat steel, perhaps protecting the vehicle further.

it would likely look worse asthetically, and perhaps also be more rust prone.

Trevor

I've gopt a heavy duty set from Extreme 4X4. I love them! Great ptrotection as well as a handy step
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

camo388

Quote from: ugly_90 on December 25, 2015, 04:47 PM
Not to throw a fly in the soup here, but is there any thought to tubular steel protectors? Tubular steel might absorb more impact than flat steel, perhaps protecting the vehicle further.

it would likely look worse aesthetically, and perhaps also be more rust prone.

I'd agree steel pipe would be stronger but unless you have access to a pipe bender, the flat steel is easier to work with.  As the Defender is squarish and flat sided, I'd prefer the look of the flat steel protectors.  If incorporating a step as well, I'd say a larger flat surface is better, especially as 1/2 the year we are snow bound and wear large winter boots.  ::)

binch

Speaking of winter with a defender Bruce.....If you plan to use your 110 much in the winter time I would suggest you speak with John Barge about the heater set up he's used in his 90.  Brilliant set up that will keep you warm at minus 30 ;)
Cheers, Bill

Already a Rover

camo388

Quote from: Already a Rover on January 11, 2016, 03:59 PM
Make me a set?

:D

I expect on the Series, the rear crossmember will have different bolt pattern to a 110, so maybe not so easy as just make 2 sets at once.
I'll have to see what I come up with for my 110.  I may be able to have material on hand and you would need to come up for a fitting. ;D 

Trevor

"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

camo388

Thanks Trevor, another good idea.
My first thought was to try and include the military bumperette with the corner protector.  As Bill says, they stick out farther and offer more rear protection. 
Maybe I've been around service rigs too much where the guys are in heavy work boots or thick winter felt packs, as the pictured corner protectors look a small step. ;D
I can inset some metal step material that I have and this will give a bigger step.  Isn't bigger always better? ;D