Alignment Tool

Started by Already a Rover, December 14, 2015, 05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Already a Rover

Alignment tool.  Does anyone in Calgary have a spare input shaft I can use to align the clutch plate? 

Yes, I'm ready to put the transmission back in.

Yes, I chickened-out.  I drove it up to Malcolm and we did it together, as he also had all of the parts it needed.  We replaced first gear (banged-up, but probably okay?) and the synchro assy (it was popping out of third, and third gear was badly worn).  The trans had definitely been rebuilt (bearings not original) and was not in bad shape except for third. 

I feel I learned enough I might attempt doing it myself next time, but having the parts needed on hand was awesome.  Done!

He didn't charge me much and I also got almost everything I needed for the engine.  Forgot to bring his tool with me tho. 

Jim

camo388

Good to hear you are making progress on your rebuild.
See we told you it wasn't hard, mind you having someone with experience to guide you first time, does help considerably.  ;)
One bonus with going to Malcolm, is that he is likely to have parts on hand.
Keep up the good work and you will be back on the road come the spring.

Bruce

binch

Good choice doing it with Malcalm.   That boy knows those series vehicles inside out and has a great stock of bits on hand. ;)
Cheers, Bill

Already a Rover

Thanks.  It was painful at times.

Jim

camo388

[
Quote from: Already a Rover on December 15, 2015, 05:00 PM
It was painful at times.

I'm hoping you still have all your fingers and toes to carry on the rebuild. ;D

Red90

As to the alignment tool.  You don't need one.  Because the pilot bearing and splines are almost the same size, you can just use anything round of the same size.  Broom handles are popular...

Already a Rover

Thanks Red.  I was thinking it was not just the shaft, but the splines themselves which have to line-up.  I will go outside and see what I am missing.

Jim