Tire carrier

Started by camo388, December 03, 2015, 07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

camo388

When I left the Edmonton ALRE meeting last night, I had a quick look at the tire carrier that Bill has installed on his 110.
Very neat job and so simple. ;)
I have a couple questions for you Bill. 
Does the carrier have a stop to keep it from opening too far and is it then pinned to stay open?
A couple pictures would be nice as other 90/110 owners may want to have their spare moved off the hood.

Thanks,  Bruce

binch

Bert did a bit of brilliant design work in there, utilizing the bumperette in the system.   There is a 1/2" square bar section welded to the bottom of the swing arm that rests against the face of the bumperette when the door is opened 110 degrees or so.     We didn't put a stop on it but it really hasn't been too much of an issue for me so far.    The set up is wide enough that you could probably get two spare wheels on it if you wanted to, but it would interfere with your tail lights I think.     The plate that the wheel is secured too can move in and out from carrier a couple of inches too, to accommodate various size wheels.   

The swivel is a 1300kg stub axle and hub assembly from Princess Auto and the lock is a simple spring loaded vertical pin gate lock.   It secures to a 1/2" hole in a 3/16" plate that's bolted to the opposite bumperette.   It really works a treat it does.   

What I really like about it is I can still take a second spare tire on my bonnet mount!    I only wish I thought of that on the Alexander Mackenzie trail trip this summer LOL  ::)

If you like the unit and don't have the welding aptitude speak with Bert and I'm sure you can work something out.    The boy's got a head on his shoulders and some clever ideas ;-)
Cheers, Bill

camo388

Maybe with carrier being open past 90 degrees it is not so likely to close on a person reaching in through the doorway for something inside.
If truck is parked sloping the wrong way then to me, it is an accident just waiting to happen.  :o :'( :'(
Shouldn't be too hard to add second spring latch to be able to lock carrier open. :)

binch

In my case once the gate is down the carrier can't close "by accident"  8)

As for pics...they were posted a couple of months back at http://alre.club/Forum/index.php?topic=90.0
Cheers, Bill

camo388

Quote from: binch on December 04, 2015, 02:01 AM
In my case once the gate is down the carrier can't close "by accident"  8)

Yes, in your case a tail gate is the stopper.  I'm imagining a tire carrier on my 110 with the full door.

As for pics...they were posted a couple of months back at http://alre.club/Forum/index.php?topic=90.0

You carrier looks so different now that it is painted.

Matt H

Bill, did you really just ask Bruce if he had "welding aptitude"?  :o
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

Trevor

Quote from: Matt H on December 04, 2015, 12:31 PM

Heheh, I noticed that too
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

Quote from: Matt H on December 04, 2015, 12:31 PM

LOL   no...that was for the general readership.      I a idiot but I ain't no moron ;)
Cheers, Bill

B-Red

I liked the pictures from John showing the jerry can holders. Can be handy for the Discos withV8 engines.

camo388

Quote from: Red90 on December 04, 2015, 12:56 PM
If you need more ideas, have a look at these guys:  http://rijidijoffroad.bounce.com.au/#/defender-single-or-dual/4569741648

I saw his stuff before.  You can either buy the finished produce or just the pieces if you have the welding aptitude. ;D
Rijidij opens with the door so a bit more involved than Bill's set up.  Also has an over center latch which I think would be a tighter fit than Bill's spring latch.
Another project to mull over. ::)

Red90

Mine opens with the door as well. Strong enough to  hang the truck off of it. Only cost $30 for the parts.

binch

Quote from: Red90 on December 04, 2015, 12:56 PM
If you need more ideas, have a look at these guys:  http://rijidijoffroad.bounce.com.au/#/defender-single-or-dual/4569741648

This was one of the units we looked at when we built my tire carrier but decided to simplify things a bit, as well as provide more room for adaptation ;-)
Cheers, Bill