Repeat after me - Aftermarket parts shall not be used for engine internals.....

Started by Red90, October 16, 2015, 04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

binch

It was a shop west of Darlington that I was put onto by Stormin from the old forum.   I'll see if I can track it down again.... ;)

Cheers, Bill

Red90

I thought Norm had an Allard kit. Their kit is 1450 pounds using the one from the 2.8. Everyone else now uses a Turbo Technics kit that sells around 900.

Red90

I ended up getting a CHRA from this place. http://www.turborebuild.co.uk/. They built one with a better bearing and seal design than stock. They claim the stock design is not adequate for running at high boost levels.

binch

Let us  know  how much change in  performance you notice with this John ;)
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Well it should be back to normal, meaning fast and furious!!  The turbo (compressor and turbine) is stock.  Just upgraded bearings and seals to allow it to be reliable at the higher boost that I run.

Red90

binch

Cheers, Bill

Red90

The difference in the compressor vanes is the old one had the leading edges removed by the nut in the intake.

Red90

Also checked the bearing play.  0.015 to 0.020" radial and 0.004" axial, which is right around Garret's spec.  So the bearing was still okay.

Red90

One more comment....   ;)

The circlip that holds the compressor housing on is a barrel of fun to deal with.  It is too big and strong for normal circlip pliers.  Big circlip pliers are stupidly priced.  The holes in the circlip are large enough to accept a decent sized needlenose plier and that is what I ended up using.  Still fiddly and would probably be best to have an assistant, but doable. 

binch

Would have been great entertainment being a fly on the wall watch you get that thing off  ;D
Cheers, Bill

Red90

headdamage

I've got a turbo here with loose bearings but a good compressor wheel.

Red90

Are you sure that are loose. The 20 thou spec feels like a lot of movement. It is pretty cheap to change the bearings and seals but it still would need to get balanced.

Red90

Quote from: headdamage on November 14, 2015, 11:28 AM
I've got a turbo here with loose bearings but a good compressor wheel.

So I pulled it apart.  It all is pretty simple to do and change the bearings and seals. You should be able to keep it balanced as long as you maintain the angular alignment of the turbine and compressor.   The only thing to know is the shaft nut is left hand threaded.  Beyond that it is a couple of circlips and three torx head screws.