200tdi disco alternator upgrade questions

Started by brendan leier, August 29, 2015, 10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brendan leier

Thanks to the lovely binch, I have a 100 amp alternator ready to replace my 92 200tdi disco stock fare.  The new alternator seems to admit to a little different wiring and Britpart did not see fit to provide a schematic or any written instructions.  My issue is that the old alternator has two black boxes included in the wiring scheme and attached to the loom itself.  The new alt does not have a sliding clip for one box and not obvious space for the other.  What to do with these black boxed and should I exclude them and proceed with the standard three wires?  Maybe these boxes are internal now on the new unit?

thanks, Brendan

binch

It's electrickery!!!!  So I took mine to the the auto electrician at the sports car center to install  ;)
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Maybe you could show pictures of what is there now. It should not be complicated.

brendan leier

Looks like these things are just supressors.  One leaves with the old alt and one stays with the original loom.   I don't want any extra electrical noise spoiling the high fidelity audio experience, lol!

B-Red

Electrical Noise can affect your ABS performance and CB radio. Try with and without these items and see how it holds. Not very familiar with the electrical on the Disco 1. Disco 2 has a fair amount of electronics in it between the ECU and the ABS and the rest of the gadgets.

brendan leier

Got it sorted I think.  All that stuff is internal in the newer alt, and thankfully I have an early gen 1 disco with no abs or heinous electrics (but three bleed nipples/caliper) :( 

thanks, b