Synthetic winch line

Started by Trevor, May 24, 2018, 10:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

I'm going to take the leap and change my winch line on the G4 from wire to rope. Getting rid of the roller fairlead will gain me about an inch on the approach angle, which is the big motivator for this switch.

I have 0 experience with rope insofar as good or bad brands go so I am interested in any recommendations or pro's/con's of different rope brands from your experience.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

Any name brand marine uhmwpe, 12 strand line will be the same as the next.  Make sure it is a real name brand that marine ship builder use with proper data sheets.  Usually we have found a bulk deal and then you cut and splice yourself.  The last time Kirk had found a deal and a bunch of us stocked up, so I'm not sure the best place to look at these days.

It is simple to splice and it is good to know how in case you need to splice in the field.  I usually leave a lightly loaded drum, so as to not worry about bunching in the middle of a pull and carry a similar length extension when a longer pull is needed.

Go with a rope that has a new breaking strength at least twice the rated capacity of the winch.  For most of us this means 3/8" is a good choice as it runs around 20000 lbs.  Run two chafe protectors, one that stays at the hook end and the other to move where needed.  I use bulk climbing sling.

Trevor

Good info John, thanks. That give me a nice starting point.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

Once again...very sound advice from John.    One point about the advantages and disadvantages......Steel rope tends to wear better in Rocky conditions, if you don't tend to take care of your rope.   But if you use wear blankets and sheaths as john suggests your fibre rope will last great.   And it's MUCH easier to clean.   For me the one big pro is safety with rope failure.....a plasma rope will be far less likely to kill anyone or take out your windows if it breaks.    Combine that with soft shackles and life is that much better.

I'll send you a pm with some info ::)

For those of you note familiar with the newer plasma ropes they weight up to 1/6th of the steel rope and in most cases float in water (except the hook), and are generally twice the strength per diameter equivelant of a steel rope.    Thing of that when you have to pull 100' of it through knee deep mud!  Easy to clean with a plastic garbage pail and a bit of gentle soapy water.    When a wire rope fails (or an attachement point at either end) fails it contains an enormous amount of energy that can easily injure or even kill a person when it connects.    The Plasma type ropes tend to drop on the ground as they don't store the same energy.      Splinters aren't nearly as much of an issue with fibre ropes as they are with a frayed wire rope.    Field repairs are a easier with a fibre rope too.

Steel ropes (if looked after properly) will wear well and get take a bit more abuse, and aren't affected by sunlight nearly as much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYEMT5avIUk

And PLEASE....do NOT use your winch as a tow strap and snatch strap >:(
Cheers, Bill