Discovery Sport spotted!

Started by Matt H, August 24, 2015, 10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt H

Saw a number of new Discovery Sport vehicles while in the UK. Took a close look inside and out and as expected they pretty much look like the current Ford Explorer.

I'd like to say it had some amazing feature that stood it apart from other egg shaped crossovers but I got bored and left after quick look around so if it has a trick up it's sleeve I missed it.

The only thing that did stand out were ridiculous super sized wheels and low profile road tyres.

Conclusion. Nice car. Pretty roomy looking for a crossover. Sadly it appears to be yet another "Land Rover" designed for road use only.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

When Craig and I were doing the daily drive to our top secret, Poultry guarded, build faucility north of Devon, we passed the same Disco sport a couple of times.   In the fleeting glance that we had it's about the same size as the evoque, but much less flashy.    I wonder if they are available in diesel this time ahhahahah.    But from what I understand there's no low range in this one either.
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Just thinking out loud here but it's curious why Jaguar hasn't suffered the same degree of 'diversification' as it's stable mate Land Rover?

Jaguar, for example, doesn't make a fuel efficient sub compact city cars or family crossovers and try to pass them off to perturbed enthusiasts as a "nesassary evil" to keep the books balanced.

All current Jags are big, fast and way cool. As always they are like a glass of single malt whiskey...with wheels.

Why do LR need to water down their heritage so much?

Trevor

One thing to remember though Matt is Jaguar is in a lot of trouble, so their model is probably not a good one to emulate. Their market has grown past them...over priced "luxury" sports cars that underperform their competition are just not in demand.

Granted that LR is still an extremely small player in the market, but there is a big difference between it and Jag; LR is actually making money and gaining market share with its products. We may not necessarily be fond of what LR are making, but my guess is if they hadn't turned things around both LR and Jag would be pushing up daisies by now, or close to it. They're just not that important "national" companies to anyone anymore (i.e. taxpayers won't be forced to embrace the Communist Manifesto and bail them out ala GM and Chrysler), so they'd likely have been left to die by Tata if LR couldn't have at least partially turned things around.   
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Matt H

I was under the impression that Jaguar sales were up since the TATA takeover?

Anyway, your probably right. I can't afford either anyway.

Trevor

Quote from: Red90 on August 26, 2015, 08:35 AM
Quote from: Matt H on August 25, 2015, 07:52 PM
Jaguar, for example, doesn't make a .... family crossovers...

http://www.jaguar.com/jaguar-range/f-pace/f-pace.html

There's a decent chance that thing will be a step towards stability for Jag. Good market for those vehicles (more-so than Jag's normal stable offering of vehicles), and they're no doubt following the Evoques lead.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Matt H

B-Red

its the same feeling I had when I saw gheir stationwagin.

By the way, I dpoted a Porch Cayan Diesel the other day.  Didnt know they made those.

brendan leier

Reviewed on the TSN car show today with a teaser about a diesel in Canada by year's end!  I will wait with great pessimism for that announcement to happen.

Matt H

Visited the Calgary LR dealer today and sat in a Discovery Sport......and its way smaller than I thought. Somehow it's a seven seater but if you are older than 14 months and happen to have legs you won't fit in the back seats.

Looked at the current LR4......$87,000! Yikes!!!!

Gets a combined mpg rating of 16-17 with a supercharged 3.0L V6. That's the same as our 4.4L V8. You also need to make sure it comes with a two speed transfer case because it's not a standard item. Again it's a nice vehicle but for the high cost I'm not sure it really does anything more than our 06 LR3?

binch

Wow....I wonder the the RRS is worth these days? ::)
Cheers, Bill

B-Red

The international catalogue from England shows the Discovery with six Diesel engine options. It can be ordered as an off-road version. Such features are not available here.
Unfortunately, every marketer and dealer assumes that Canada roadways are flat and clear. We need to have them visit, and stay for a month during our snow blizzards and see how quickly ice and snow can turn a road into an off-road trail.
Toyota, Nissan are offering Trail / Off-road editions on their SUVs. It's very impressive. A$40k will give you a very nice loaded suv that is equal to the Disco.
Then you have the Jeep, with sky is the limit for parts and options.
Used Land Rovers still provide bang for the buck. New ones, not sure. Unless you need to have speed and want to show off!

Matt H

Proper Rangies are well north of $100K these days with the sport not far behind.

Perhaps an indication of the change of direction for Land Rover is he slick new dealership building. All immaculately clean polished granite and glass while across the road the "Hunting Lodge" styled old dealership building is looking rather forlorn with all the older used vehicles. Doesn't even say Land Rover on the building any more.

All the sales staff are wearing suits rather than the slacks and outdoor shirts they used to wear. I spoke with the sales manager briefly and he remarked that it's a shame how few customers take their Land Rovers off road these days considering how capable they are.

I told him it probably had something to with the fact that both Land Rover and the LR dealers have made ever effort to attract customers that have no interest in outdoor pursuits and the eye watering price tag.

But cheer up, in the used lot they had a tatty 1993 110 SW with a 200tdi and a external roll cage for a mere $72,000............they told me that it's looking for a special buyer. One with more money than sense. On that we agreed.

binch

Oh the RR itself.....I met a gentleman at a tire shop who had just purchased his vehicle and he paid just over 144k for it, but that was a good 6 0r 8 years ago.    But I know the the RRS was the lower end of the price tag for the RR's, prior to the introduction of the Evoque.   Mind you...I have no idea what one of those is worth either.

The Solihull society's Moab trip last year was an excellent opportunity to see the newer model LR's perform, and that's exactly what they did.   Very impressed by what they were climbing!    Perfectly dry clean rock and some incredible scenary to boot.... ;)
Cheers, Bill