Another reason not to drive a j**p (as if we need one)

Started by Rambler, July 22, 2015, 10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambler

1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

Trevor

Yes, this is an ever increasing problem with all vehicle manufacturers. The security on their remote access systems is laughable and easily bypassed.

However, much like a cell phone is simply a personal tracking and activity monitoring device that just happens to make phone calls, the comms systems in vehicles were setup originally to the exact same end. They are not there to offer convenience to the owner as a primary end (that's a sidebar, at a HUGE cost to your privacy), rather they are there to provide a "call-home" data dump function for the auto manufacturer, and their proxy's (NSA et al). This allows them to track everything you do in the vehicle, where you go, how fast you get there, when you fuel up, where you fuel up, etc etc. It's less important now mind you as they track and maintain very similar information from your cell phone (Blackberry users excluded, as it actually has a semblance of security), and much more (who you talk to, emails, etc). Data is money, and most importantly controlling data is power. Ultimately, it is all that matters.

That's the data mining part.

The remote functionality and controls have been around a while, and are inherently insecure due to week security routines on the portal. Popping locks on cars via wifi hacks is nothing new, its just starting to get more press is all.

One thing I find amusing about this article though, and others like it, is the underlying inference that the hackers are the ones we should fear. That's a woot. The government, and their corporate data miners, are the only real threat to personal liberty and safety.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Matt H

Late to the party again Jeep. Old Land Rovers need not fear any form of hacker techno attack. They are able to shut down while driving all by themselves with no outside interfearance.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Trevor

Quote from: Matt H on July 22, 2015, 01:01 PM
Late to the party again Jeep. Old Land Rovers need not fear any form of hacker techno attack. They are able to shut down while driving all by themselves with no outside interfearance.

Well put!

In all seriousness, this is a BIG plus for older vehicles. I never needed a tracking/data gathering device before in my vehicle, definitely don't need one now.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

KIDD67

Interesting info. I have often wondered about my 2008 GMC sierra and that useless onstar system. It is not activated at least by me so they can bill me monthly, however it's still passive active? I am pretty sure it's still hand shaking with an above satellite constantly tracking the vehicles movements RIGHT?

how does one permanently disable it without actually pulling a fuse or something? Any thoughts or ideas?

brendan leier

Sadly jeep will have a diesel wrangler in Canada before I will be able to get hands on a TD6  .