Driver comfort

Started by Trevor, April 20, 2015, 04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

As I was driving in to the office today in my D2 I had a bit of an odd realization. As a big fella being comfortable in the drivers seat isn't usally an easy thing to achieve. Leg room, head room, arm rests, steering wheel position, etc etc. But my D2 is really really comfy, I quite enjoy spending time behind the wheel in it. Then it dawned on me, the most comfortable vehicles I have driven, as well as the most uncomfortable, are all from the same company...what's the likelihood of that? Here's a bit more detail and the though as it evolved...

I genuinely like the cockpit of the D2. I fit well in it, have lots of leg room, arms rest nicely on the window sill and arm rest, seat is pretty comfy even in my basic cabin model, steering wheel position is really good. All in all, definitely near the top of the list for vehicles I've driven.

My Range Rover Sport was, hands down, the most comfortable vehicle I've ever driven. Blew away the big Rangie even. Once I plopped my butt down into it everything just felt right. It wasn't only a matter of fine leathers and snazzy wood. It was about how everything was where it should be, and you simply settled into an excellent driving position that fit like a glove. Number 1...ever...all other vehicles everywhere are simple pleebs when measure against the Sport! (ok, maybe a bit excessive, but you get the idea...its done well!).

And then there's the Defender. It's great that it came before the other two because at least we can say "Things are getting better." But really, sit you half way out the door, on a seat that seconds as a church pew, with no leg room whatsoever, then stick an emergency brake in your thigh, put the steering wheel in the most uncomfortable position imaginable, plop a big old tire on the hood so you can't see, and then wrap it in a container that violates most decible exposure laws once you get it up to speed.

...and the oddest thing of all....I kinda like driving the Defender the most out of the bunch  :o

Its a mad mad mad mad world I tell you!

"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Mark

Agreed! The D2 is an incredibly comfortable vehicle. I can drive for hours and hours and hours without getting sore.

The Sport has to be a 1B for me as my 1993 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe is my 1A! I did, not a word of a lie, Lethbridge to Roscommon, Michagan. I'm one sitting. My route was Lethbridge to Shelby, across the #2 until it met up with I75 and then down to Roscommon for a nap. It was like driving a couch across the land! Lololol!

The most uncomfortable vehicle for me BY FAR is the new Porsche Cayenne! I had to take one to Calgary and back. I hadn't been in that kind of pain driving since driving an ILTIS across Ontario! Gross. The Cayenne had the gazillion dollar sport seats too...
1993 Range Rover County LWB - Ardennes Green
2006 LR3 HSE - Java Black
2008 LR2 HSE - Orkney Grey

1984 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2 - Guards Red

binch

Trevor you hit the nail on the head....two or three times, but you hit it!!!!

I enjoy the disco11....fit's nicely.   And that old RRC has no creature comforts but I REALLY enjoy driving that beast, with it's 'fish bowl' like visibility.   And so far I've done it two NA vehicles with it and only sustained insignificant damage totalling 40 quid in parts.     But my 110 is just  a simple joy to puts around in.   I can be in those seats all day and they don't bother me.   Being LHD I have a lot more driver room the Trevor has with the RHD.  Mind you...I'm a weee bit smaller then Trevor-Bubba ;)      And the 110 is definitely the most comfortable to sleep in so far ahhahahhahahah

Now....try and get me to pick only one to keep!?!??!   That would be a challenge....I think I can whittle it down to the RRC and the 110, with the RRC having a much better climate control system for the winter.   Just don't ask me to....... 8)
Cheers, Bill

B-Red

You know that feeling when you ride a horse and run around the trail with it? It's exhilarating and feels great. That's how it feels to drive the Defender.

The D2, it feels like a special opps on a mission. Gets you there without spilling your drink.

They do grow on you.

I am going to be looking for BRed when it comes out. I had a lot of great memories driving it all over northern Alberta.

As for my MKC...it's ok. Feels like a minivan for soccer dad. Looks impressive. Drives well. But it's not a LR.

Matt H

For driving pleasure it would need to be a Series LR, on a nice day with the tilt rolled up or taken off. The feeling I get from driving such a simple, pure machine transcends comfort. During my Army days while with the UN in Cyprus we had a civvy spec 90 turbo Diesel with the tilt perminently rolled up that also was a blast to run around the island in.

Perhaps the ultimate would be a Stage I V8 with no tilt?

But for a truly comfortable seats and ride I would rate my old Mighty Range Rover up there with anything I've ever driven, old or new. Rough or smooth it takes it all in it's stride.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.