P38 for sale

Started by RWAYOUT, November 09, 2016, 02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RWAYOUT

Im looking to sell my P38, Just want something that has more off road support.... Looking @ an LR3 or a Disco 5

Anyhoo, here is the list of whats what.

2001 4.6 HSE
Black, Dark Grey leather.
231,000 km
Asking : $6000

Have service records from Previous Owner.
Whats been replaced:
- New 31'' BFG All Terrain KM2 <500 km
- New Windscreen
- New HVAC Blend Motors
- New HVAC screen / bulbs ( waiting on screen from Royal Mail currently )
- New Blistien HD Shocks  ( Thanks Mark ! )
- All Fluids Changed ( Motul ATF / Gear 300 / 8100 5w30 ) incl. coolant.
- New Steering Damper ( Rancho )
- New Relays
-New Wipers
- Replaced Cabin / Air / gearbox filters
- New power steering reservoir
- New Plugs
- Fuel System cleaned ( Spec Lube Injector Service )

Air Bags ( Suspension )  / Alternator / Water pump replaced

What sucks on it:
- window regulator in pass door clunks but does not affect operation
- Headlights are cracked ( negotiating on a used pair as we speak )
- could use Front Main Seal soon.   
-Sunroof cover fabric ripped
-Valve Cover gaskets weeping. Have new gaskets.

I think that covers it.
Its been literally sitting idle for 2 months, but Im parking my other 2 cars for the season and will now start enjoying it.  Solid runner , drives impeccably. I dont think its ever been off road. I haven't even gotten a  chance to try it out. If I do , I might love it more and simply keep it. Seriously !
2001 Range Rover HSE 4.6
EAS works !

Matt H

Sounds like a really nice unit.

But if you are looking for something with more off road support than a P38 Rangie I don't think you will find it with an LR3 and certainly not a New Discovery.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Trevor

Quote from: Matt H on November 09, 2016, 10:14 PM
Sounds like a really nice unit.

But if you are looking for something with more off road support than a P38 Rangie I don't think you will find it with an LR3 and certainly not a New Discovery.

Seconded. You're going the wrong direction in years. In our area, the newer LR's aren't that great. They just aren't that great in mud. They're very heavy and it's nearly impossible getting a dedicated mud tire to fit. They're not terrible mind you, but you can do a lot more with a D2 or prior if you want something to play around in.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

RWAYOUT

Good points made.
I know that the newer units will compromise off road ability for on road comfort ( for the masses ) , but LR has been working heavily on having the SVX line ready to go. And I like having factory designed parts. The integration in form and function works for me.
I just have anxiety over offroading a new $80,000 SUV.

The D2 is definitely a strong contender. There is no question that the aftermarket world loves that vehicle. I just dont care for the drivinig dynamics of it. I have driven several of them, and I just don't like the way I fit in it.

The LR3 .. From what I have seen , it can really hold its own, and there is a fair amount of love out there for it. I like the Terrain Response, and have seen some brilliant bumper/armour parts for it. Yes , there is limitations on the suspension / driveline, but I fit nicely. lol

I love this P38. It drives amazing.
But there is simply limited parts out there for it.
I cant even find a friggin winch plate for it.
There is only one roof rack I have found, and Rock Rover is pretty much the only place that builds parts.
Could I make my own? Sure. Easily. I just don't have the time.
If I keep it , I will have an integrated winch in the front bumper by spring. I just need to have it down for a few days to build the parts , and fit a light bar , because living in the country sucks in the winter :/
2001 Range Rover HSE 4.6
EAS works !

Matt H

I have an LR3 all kitted out with ARB winch bumper, rock sliders and roof rack. I even did a +2" coil spring conversion. I fitted 18" wheels so I could find a decent AT tyre to fit. It was for sale a while ago.

Small tire size is their Achilles heal. It's very heavy and has a fairly big break over angle so if you get into anything that you can sink into (mud, snow, sand) or get high centred on you will need your winch and skid plates. If you could get a set of 37" or even 35" mudders to fit properly and the drive train to survive + retain the traction control these units would literally rule! It's so difficult to get anything much larger than a 32" tyre to fit and that doesn't give you enough flotation or ground clearance to offset the weight and breakover angle needed for tough trails.

However, if you like wheeling up in the mountains on easy/moderate trails where there is a hard base they do work very well. They are very maneuverable, powerful and the visability from the drivers seat is awesome. And you don't kill yourself driving there and back either as they are obviously much better on road.

Defenders, Disco 1 and old Range Rover Classics lead all other LR products in Bolt on, off road equipment.

Red90

It is not just the size of the tires, but the large required rim size.  This gives you a small sidewall height, making it not possible to run very low pressure.  Never mind the small articulation.  And, of course, you can't be worried about multiple thousands of dollars in body damage.

They are okay for easy trails and you probably won't get too upset on moderate trails if people don't mind pulling you or winching every now and then.

RWAYOUT

True enough. It was nice having 35's on my Land Cruiser and airing them down.
Im just changing the way that I want to travel, and explore.
Honestly, I just don't overland like I used to, spending 4-5 weeks traveling though Moab, to California every year. The past few years my 80 series really just sat around. So I sold it. I want to get a expo trailer and do more mild expeditioning now.
But I am excited to try my P38 off road. At least once :)
2001 Range Rover HSE 4.6
EAS works !

Matt H

17" wheels are available for the LR3.
Older Land Rovers are famed for their impressive articulation and I think this is what the boffins at LR hope the traction control will make up the difference. If Moab type wheeling is on the cards these units do very, very well in that particular environment and the folks rave about its suitability as an overlander (D4 more than the 3).

I've seen plenty of bigger, heavier rigs eat up tough trails but until someone spends $$$$$$ getting the big tyres to fit they will never be able keep up.

It's hard to package a long travel supple suspension that will also perform on road to the standard a modern SUV buyer demands. It's an issue for nearly all new SUV's. Even the new 4 Runners are getting harder to modify. 

bassguy

Hi..I wouldnt mind taking a look at this if its still for sale?..I am new on here and am looking at a possible defender but there is alot of work involved with that one..thanks!, bassguy