2018 Alexander Mackenzie Trail, West to East

Started by binch, December 13, 2017, 10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

3Rovers

Thanks for doing this write up Bill! I enjoyed reliving the trip through your words!
Just watched the Pan Philips video too. He would have been quite the character to meet along the trail, back in the day!

binch

VERY BAD NEWS :'(

We lost Orville Chubb on sunday when he passed away.....There are no details as to what happened.

It makes it difficult to celebrate our victory over the AMT when you lose an "integral cog in the machine".

He will be missed......

LastChanceFuelStop by ALRE Club, on Flickr

SmilinOrville by ALRE Club, on Flickr
Take an extra jerry can Orville...we'll see you in camp   ;)
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

Quote from: binch on August 12, 2018, 03:24 PM
Well that looks like it's very close to the Lambert Homestead then.     He's cleared things around his building so they are are far enough from the woods to be saved..... if the embers don't get them.    Hopefully he won't loose too much out there.    Hard to say if the fire went far enough to the east to get Rob and Linda's place....but the north fire boundary almost looks like it's following either the AMT or the Blackwater River.     :-\

Looks like the fire is back to life and growing across the trail.  The other fires in the area are becoming immense. The one to the west is at 223000 hectares.

binch

That top map (or maybe my Garmin maps) are not scewed to north the same.   But it looks like the area of the first fire (C11594) pushed well through to Blackwater river to the north.   But it appears the Lambers and Phillips are still okay.   The Home Ranch is toast now...even if the building were taken out a few years back.   

It also appears the fire is only 3 or 4km from the east end of Eliguk lake now with a lot of hot spots at that western tip.    The fuel load over that direction is really bad as the pine beetle kill stuff is all over the ground now.   

Sure hope they see some rain soon ???
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Here is a similar map with the trail on it.  Looks to be just about on top of Lampert's.  Looks like rain is in forecast.

Matt H

Great write up Bill, thank you.

Sad news about Orville.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

DBrands

There was an update posted by Jennifer Eliguk Lodge, showing a video taken at the Phillips'. The fire appears to have a few small sections that are quite close, but with the clearing around their place I'd assume they'll be relatively safe.

Also, an Incident Management Team, along with the Fire Commissioner showed up at Eliguk Lodge to survey their situation and give some advice as well as lend pumps, hoses, etc.

(all info via Facebook posts by Jennifer)
David B

1990 D90 - 200TDI

binch

how do I find her page David...?     I sure hope things work out for their place.

There is a new program been running around for a couple years now where they install wajax pumps with Hundreds of sprinklers in High value areas to try and increase the duff moisture as well as soak down buildings.   They've had some good success with that by the sounds of it.   I see they've had their first frost too....that's good.   But nothing would be nicer then a good soaker from a multi day drizzle ;)
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

I don't have a Facebook account, but if anyone that was on the trip does, please let Jennifer and Aron know about Orville's passing. They have a nice picture of him cooking breakfast one could comment to.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

Here are links to here posts on you guys showing up.  Hopefully they work...

Jennifer's first post.

Jennifer's second post.

Red90

Quote from: Trevor on August 21, 2018, 07:48 PM
I don't have a Facebook account, but if anyone that was on the trip does, please let Jennifer and Aron know about Orville's passing. They have a nice picture of him cooking breakfast one could comment to.

It is probably best if someone that was there passed on the news to them.

binch

Quote from: Trevor on August 21, 2018, 07:48 PM

Yes please!!!   Could someone let them know please....
Cheers, Bill