Finally!

Started by Mark, May 02, 2015, 10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

Since getting the new to me D2, I have been driven to the point of near insanity from this rattle that I could not find... until now. I have tidyed up wiring, replace clips and screws and pretty much everything else trying to find this damned rattle behind the dash. This latest Disco hails from Ron Burgandy's stomping grounds, San Diego. The Southern California heat has done wonders for the interior plastics, if you like them curled and brittle. I have finally reached my breaking point and this is what I've done...

HERE IT IS! The source of the elusive rattle!!!!

I have a good dash out of an '03 that I'm swapping in. I just have to switch the harness, do a couple wiring repairs from somebody who was in there and read on the internet how to do auto electrics... I'm going to take the opportunity while I'm in there to replace all the clips, flocking tape, felt, zipties, new hockey tape for the harness, felt for the areas the come in contact with other pieces, and foam with new items. As well, I am installing a Sirius XM module out of sight and running the antenna so it looks factory.

Wish me luck!

1993 Range Rover County LWB - Ardennes Green
2006 LR3 HSE - Java Black
2008 LR2 HSE - Orkney Grey

1984 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2 - Guards Red

Mark

Any one want a British take on spaghetti!?

1993 Range Rover County LWB - Ardennes Green
2006 LR3 HSE - Java Black
2008 LR2 HSE - Orkney Grey

1984 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2 - Guards Red

Trevor

Good that you tracked down the rattle, they can certainly be annoying.

Installing a very large stereo also works as a good counter to rattles. Doesn't fix the rattle, but doesn't make it audible either :)
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Matt H

Those squeaks can drive a guy nuts. Years ago I worked for GM and all I did for six months was track down customer complaints for squeaks and rattles. I found silicone spray worked well as a temporary measure but to fix it for good you need to isolate the two areas rubbing together. Problem is everyone likes a tight fit and finish these days and a plastic dash doesn't like to be fitted that way.

That's what all those tiny bits of felt/moleskin looking tape and foam covered harnesses are. From guys like me slowly going insane fixing squeaks and passing the info back up the food chain to the factory so they can address it there as the car is built.

Had to find a new job in the end as I was beginning to hear strange rattles and squeaks all the time, even when I wasn't even in a car!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

Funny that....I have a constant rattle in both the RRC and the 110.   It's called a 200tdi ahahahhahhahahhahaha
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Eventually you just lose the ability to hear high pitched sounds and all is well.