My WOLF Project

Started by jybella, April 28, 2015, 07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jybella

Now that our forum is active I am going update my Wolf project here. A little history, the Wolf was one of the 8 Wolfs that were sold out of BATUS. My understanding is that the Wolf 90" were determined to be too small for service and were declared surplus to the Armys requirements. The 110's are in rotation to be rebuilt and modified for service.

This Wolf appears to have gone thru a major rebuild sometime after 2009, it appears the frame was replaced and the engine with a rebuild unit. I had been watching the sales out of BATUS since 2013 when they first started selling off the regular 90's, 110's and the few Wolfs they had. So it appears that there was not a lot of time on the truck between the rebuild and when it was surplused off.

I bid on the truck and was successful, it was declared a non runner, I brought it home to Edmonton and after installing a couple of new batteries was able to start it right up. It runs great and had a few minor issues that have been taken care of. I had it inspected and registered and drove it around a little, it has the 300 TDI, 5 spd, power steering and a heater. It is easy to drive and keeps up with traffic with no problems.

Here are a couple of pictures as I picked it up from BATUS. My intention is too bring it back to as delivered condition.

Jim

binch

sounds like a great start Jim!   I believe this maybe the first (and only) wolf in the club...?!?!?
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

IIRC 90's were originally procured to replace the Series based Airportable (Lightweight) Land Rovers  for the more mobile units such as the Paras and Royal Marines etc. as the LWT's had already superseded the regular full bodied 88"LR.
Main frontline and rear echelon units were supposed to get the 110's. But in the wonderful mix and match world of the British Armed Forces you will often see specialized vehicles with units that have little or no use for them. My own Regiment in Warminster (UK) had 110 truck cab with a V8 liberated from the RAF!

Nice project you have there. Keep posting progress.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

jybella

I missed a couple of interesting stats, in the original contract there were 7925 vehicles produced at a reputed price of £50,000 each, of these 1411 were the short-wheelbase (TUL-HS)  there have been no repeat orders for the British Military. I think the £50,000 would include all the typical military support contracts ie. training, spare parts, manuals etc etc to justify the eye brow raising cost.

Big thank-you to  Bill for all the support and amazing access to the parts that he has procured for the project.

I decided to complete the project refit sooner than later so here is the progress to date.

What started as a quick respray turned into a little more detail. I wanted to return the exterior to pre BATUS paint job, so I ended up removing a lot of the exterior body work so i could get rid of the desert tan color.

Here is the rear body after the respray in olive drab.

jybella

On the trailer and headed for home

jybella

some more progres pictures

binch

Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Great little project you have there Jim. Keep the updates coming!
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Matt H

50K Land Rover 90. Now I know why my UK taxes were so high.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

Quote from: Matt H on April 28, 2015, 11:09 PM

You probably don't what to know what we were paying for the G-Wagon then   LOL
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Quote from: Matt H on April 28, 2015, 11:09 PM

I will guarantee that whatever is used to replace the Land Rover in the UK army will be over £100k.  The Canadian GWagons run around $150000 for the basic versions.

jybella

More parts coming in!
Roll bar pieces and complete.

binch

Nice set up....is that from Safety Devices?
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Quote from: binch on May 03, 2015, 12:01 PM
Nice set up....is that from Safety Devices?

It is the standard Wolf soft top bars and, is, I believe made by Safety Devices.

jybella

More pieces, everything back from paint paint now