Valve Lash Cap Wear

Started by Red90, March 16, 2015, 04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red90

Someone was ordering some new lash caps through the club today and I had mentioned the known problem of lash cap wear and Bill suggested I write something up....

On  the top of the valve stems for the most Land Rover engine (2.5P, 2.5D, 2.5TD, 200TDI and 300TDI at least) there are wear caps on top of the valve stems.  The current part number is LJC100270.

A few years back people doing rebuilds started finding that they would wear out and cause excessive valve lash in a very short time.  Lots of pain and headache occurred searching for the cause and in the end, it simply appears that the new stock genuine parts are being made much too soft.

The solution it to purchase aftermarket hardened caps and there won't be a problem.  Fortunately, the caps are the same size as air cooled VW engines and many suppliers make hardened caps for the VW race scene.  You are looking for caps for 8mm valve stems.  There are a lot of options.

EMPI 4006 is one that is easy to find for around $10 a set.  Simply searching for 8 mm hardened valve lash caps should get you a million options or stop by your local VW race place.  Or source from Turner Engineering when buying other parts.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f6/lashcap-issues-valve-cap-issues-35033.html

Alex C

i went with the Crane Cams 99425-16 set of 16 one great feature is the small oil hole in the center, and they are through hardened. Available from most engine performance shops.

I tried the LJC100270, brit part, OEM, genuine, genuine old stock etc to no avail, one set of the Cranes problem solved.

D90 200Tdi     67 S2a 88"

KIDD67

During my 2.5na rebuild, when I stripped my cylinder head taking out the valve's springs etc, I noticed that there was no valve caps installed? So for some weird reason there was none.. Maybe they wore out and fragmented or the head was rebuilt and the mechanic forgot to installed new one's or just didn't think they were required? Who knows. The rocker arms and valve ends do not appear to be deformed in any way but rest assured when it goes back together, I will be installing new ones

binch

They weren't installed in all models.
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Quote from: binch on March 24, 2015, 06:17 AMThey weren't installed in all models.

I'm pretty sure all 2.5NA engines should have them.  The rocker geometry and adjustment is pretty much at its limit when a cap is removed.

lovejugs

early 2.5 never had them the last ones with the oil drain bolt (which would have been for turbo return) did have them i cant remember if there was a retro fit while they were in service