D1 TDI, MPG, OMG!

Started by Matt H, March 11, 2015, 09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt H

So the results are in. After (finally) burning up a tank of diesel running the dang kids around town my  old D1 with the 300Tdi/R380 conversion is retuning a very respectable 30 mpg.
I can do around 500-550 miles per tank give or take.

Haven't had a full highway run yet or changed the gearbox/t'case/diff oils yet either so it may improve a little. But all in all, not bad.

That's in miles (not KM) and imperial gallons.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

OMG. Matt has fallen to the dark side.

Trevor

Who stole Matt's account? Clearly this is an imposter!
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

Welcome to the dark side Matt!    May the diesel force be with you 8)
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

It would be better still if diesel wasn't 20c a litre more expensive than regular gas! Although I always use premium gas in Rover V8's so I guess it's more like 10c a litre more.

Red90

It will equalize in a month or two.  Always higher in the winter.

binch

But that advantage you have not having to carry so much extra fuel on the trails.....priceless!!!
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Quote from: Matt H on March 11, 2015, 09:05 PMThat's in miles (not KM) and imperial gallons.

Canada.  The only place where the odometers are in kilometers and the fuel sold in liters, but people still put in the effort to convert fuel consumption to two completely different units.

binch

I'm going down fighting!!!!

B. Inch
Cheers, Bill

brendan leier

I can get a good 600+ kms out of a tank with the 200tdi.  About the same economy as my 08 Mercedes diesel, lol!  Funniest part is that city and hwy are about the same!

Matt H

After the run up to Cypress Hills with six passengers working it hard the diesel started running better, with more power and even better mpg. Especially after a fast highway run against the wind on the way back.

Not as fast in the acceleration department as the two V8's in the group but then again I was hauling two adults, two teenagers and two older kids.

binch

And you really don't need to watch the fuel gauge anymore either ahahahhhahhaha
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

The fuel guage actually weierds me out sometimes. It's like the hour hand on a clock. It moves so imperceptibly slowly I often worry that it's stopped working and I will come spluttering to a halt having run out of fuel!

Still love the V8's power, smooth torque and great burbling sound though. Shame it only gets half the mpg.

binch

But now you can do your running around and long haul trips on the cheap, and save the 'sound candy' for special occassions, when you feel like spraining your cheek muscles  ;D
Cheers, Bill