Dial test indicator

Started by Gardenome, March 08, 2015, 08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardenome

Looking to borrow one to adjust my wheel bearing play.

Or an idea where to get a good price on one.

Ooh, I wonder if they are rentable?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

binch

I have one you can borrow Ian.    But I'm not sure why you need one for wheel bearings though ???
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Some versions on the workshop manual use a free play to set the wheel bearings.  I would suggest not using that method.  Just tighten the hub nut by hand, spin the wheel, back off, tighten, spin, back off and tighten, then you are good to go.  The newer manuals give a small torque value of 30 Nm.  You just want to take out the freeplay.  A small amount of preload is better than freeplay for the bearings.

Trevor

Here's a pair of videos that show the entire swivel bearing replacement process. The fella here also demonstrates well the technique John mentioned.

"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

It's a great vid as long as you have a newer version of the defender.   Us old crusty farts with the 110's have a slightly different set up.   But the vid and a little reading from the Haynes Book of Lies and it all comes out in the wash  ;D
Cheers, Bill

Gardenome

Manual says to adjust for 0.004 - 0.006 inches so I was going to adjust for that. As I was saving up for the dial indicator, I started disassembly. Current grease looks pretty chunky. I'll try john's method but it looks like I'll be checking all 4 wheels. Bearings come in matched sets but they don't differentiate inside vs outside bearings do they?

Red90

Series 2?  They should have two different sized hub bearings.

Make sure you are using good brand name bearings and hub seal.  Make sure the sealing surface is good.

edit:  Oh 1955.  I'm not sure then.  Matt would know about a Series 1.

B-Red

Watching the YouTube videos, is this similar to the repairs that Jeffery and Bill did on their front Wheels?

Gardenome

This video

http://youtu.be/ZtbQFAftCV8

Show the guy using some soft metal chisels or punches to get the races out. Where would I find something like that? Both those terms in Google don't find me what I want.

Gardenome

Never mind. Drift was the term I needed.

Red90

Any tool or auto parts store to get a brass drift.  Use the old race to drift the new ones in.

binch

Quote from: Red90 on March 15, 2015, 08:25 PM
Any tool or auto parts store to get a brass drift.  Use the old race to drift the new ones in.

But use a cutting wheel to cut a slice through the old one first.   It works a treat without binding in the seat behind the one.    I kept one in the tool box it's been so handy doing the wheel bearings ;-)
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Quote from: B-Red on March 15, 2015, 06:06 PM
Watching the YouTube videos, is this similar to the repairs that Jeffery and Bill did on their front Wheels?

I think it was the wheel bearing that failed on Jeffery's enroute to Moab, rather than the swivel pin bearing they show in the video. Although I can't remember for sure. But in any event, its the same starting point, its just a matter of how much you have to pull apart. Swivel pin bearings are more work as you have to disassemble to the point of removing the housing itself. Wheel bearings are much easier as you need not disassemble that far.

That's on a Defender. I have no idea how the Series differs.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!