gear box

Started by Pioneer, June 15, 2015, 09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pioneer

I haven't changed the gear box oil since I bought the 110 3 years ago so I finally got around to it.  Borrowed a spanner as mine were too small, got out the fluid gun and the new amsoil oil and went to work.  Should I be worried by the amnt of fillings on the drain plug?  The oil was pretty clean and not contaminated so that was good.

Red90

Fairly typical. What engine and what gearbox?  Do you know what fluid was on it?  What fluid did you put in?

Pioneer

r380, I dont know what was in it but I put Amsoil MTF 75/90 in.

binch

That's Colin's 200tdi and R380 isn't it?    I'm sure he would have used good oil in there too.   He was very good at taking care of that truck ;-)    I get similar bits on my magnetic plug too.
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Quote from: Pioneer on June 15, 2015, 10:45 PMr380, I dont know what was in it but I put Amsoil MTF 75/90 in.

75W90 is much too heavy and will damage the oil pump and eventually the synchros.  Are you sure that is what you used?

For Amsoil products, you want to be using "Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid", http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2080.pdf

Pioneer

It was thinner than what was in before and GL4.  I will check the bottles again when I get home.

Red90

Getting the correct viscosity is quite important.  These boxes are designed for a low viscosity fluid like most modern gearboxes.  The original spec was to use ATF and later changed to Texaco MTF-94 which is a 75W80 rating.  You want an oil designed as a manual transmission fluid that is 70W80 or 75W80.  A 75W90 is more or less double the viscosity.

Pioneer

ok thanks,  I will check with the amsoil dealer here and perhaps the land rover dealer for 3l of MTF 94.  Havent driven it yet with the new oil in.  Looks like a bit more boding time with the defender.  Bit of a pain i the ass to get the fluid in.  I thought the transfer case fill was in a great location as it is just below the removable  plate in the cab but the gear box is another story lol.

binch

you can procure 2.5 gal hand pump pressure sprays for weed control and the like for next to nothing if you watch for the sales.   Add the oil, pump it up, cut the sprayer head off the end, plug it into the hole and start filling.   It isn't fast but it's easy and shouldn't leave a pool under your truck when you're done.   

Princess also sells hand operated fluid transfer pumps that will do a litre at a time or so.   They are much quicker but I find I make a bit more mess with them too.

Hey John, why not put that link to your lubricant table up here permenantly!  It's a great resource!!!!!!

Have fun!
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Quote from: Pioneer on June 16, 2015, 10:52 AM....and perhaps the land rover dealer for 3l of MTF 94.  Havent driven it yet with the new oil in.

The Amsoil stuff I linked to above should work fine and is common.  Another common oil with the right properties is Redline MTL.  Most racing parts places stock it.  The MTF-94 is probably not as good as either of those choices.

This is my listing....  http://www.red90.ca/rovers/MTF.htm

As Bill says, get yourself a chemical sprayer or three.  You will never fear changing gearbox or axle oil again.  I slip a zip tie over the valve so that I can leave it filling while relaxing as it takes a bit of time.

For regular gear oil (axles and transfer case), the best pricing seems to be at UFA, where you can get nice 20 liter pails of synthetic or regular.

Red90

Oh, you are in SK....  I'm sure there are similar farm supply stores.

Pioneer

The Amsoil dealer lives a few blocks away from me and we served in the same regiment back in the old days so he will bring it home tonight.  thanks for all the help guys.

Matt H

Love the weed sprayer idea. Gonna try that next time as my pump just fell apart when I changed gearbox oil in the Series III.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

Princess puts the 1gallon models on sale a couple a times a year for 6 bucks.   I've had mine for a 4 or  5 years now.    The triggers can slide back and lock into position, which is hangy.   Slow, but makes life easier.
Cheers, Bill

Rambler

I can also attest to this being a good solution to filling up the gear oil in various motors.  If you don't want to wait for a sale, I got my sprayers (one for the oil fill ups and another for brake fluid flushes) at walmart for less than 10 each.  Found auto electric a good spot to pick up the GL-4 spec. fluids in Sask. too.
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas