Polloybush and ball joints in my LR3.

Started by Matt H, June 01, 2015, 05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt H

LR3's are renown for being hard on suspension components so when I noticed a rear bushing was shot and the front lower ball joints were loose I decided replacement of all the suspension bushings was in order as when one go's the rest are usually not far behind.

To try to improve on the factory bushings (that have lasted 300,000km) I went with Polybush pollyurathane bushings in the "Dynamic" ( Orange ) variety. When I researched pollyurathane bushings for the LR3 I found that many folks had issues lowering the air suspension and complained of a harsh ride compared to stock when using the "Sport" ( red ) bushings. So I went with the softer Orange compound for the 'A' arms (upper and lower) and Red for the anti sway bar bushings.

My LR3 has been converted to coil spring suspension so I don't need the special bushings LR engineered to facilitate different ride heights from the EAS anymore.

So over the last couple of weeks, as time has allowed, I've been replacing the bushings in the LR3. Be warned. This is NOT a afternoon or even a weekend job. Unless you have a full shop and hoist at your disposal.......and even then. The lower A arm rear bolt in particular is a real S.O.B. to get out. The factory bushings require a minimum 20 ton press or removal-by-destruction and you need to break into the brake system to remove the rear upper A arms so bleeding the system after your done will also need doing.  I'm a professional mechanic so I have lots of the special tools needed and also no stranger to this kind of work but the engineers have packaged everything on the LR3 so tightly it makes even a realitively straight forward job like bushing replacement a real chore. Several bolts have torque values that cannot be set as there is no way to get a torque wrench in the space available at ride height so improvised Armstrong approximate torque values had to be used (FT & RFT).

I also replaced all the anti sway bar links (RR link had actually broken) and front lower ball joints. Sadly there are no heavy duty ball joints available for the LR3 as far as I know and these are items that wear quite rapidly so I replaced these with regular OEM style replacement ball joints.

After an alignment a test drive revealed a nice tight steering and suspension with no undue noises, clunks or squeaks. Travel is similar to before, cornering and roll feels more controlled and the ride is as comfortable as ever so I'm pleased with the results so far.
That being said I don't think I'd be in a hurry to swap over to Polybush bushings if the orginal units hadn't been worn out. It's just too much work/time. But as a rebuild it only required a little more work.

I will update with a longer term impression when we have a few more miles on Ella the LR3.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

Excellent Write up Matt!!!   ;)

I particularly enjoyed your technical description of specific torque values and their applications  ;D

Me thinks we are going to have to get you a cheapo digital camera for you shop so you can add pics to these write-ups.   Keep up the great work sir!!!!
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Yeah, I'm the worst for taking pictures during repairs. I started with good intentions and took a photo of the bags with the bushings in. But then I got busy acctually doing the repair and didn't take any more. I suppose I could try to upload the one sad picture I have?
No Road Except For Land-Rover.