Rovers lead the way

Started by pechanec, April 14, 2017, 09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pechanec

Read something today which amused me, thought I'd share. This is an ad for " a heavyweight truck that can handle the toughest tasks. Cue the 2017 Ford Super Duty......Features a stronger, sturdier, fully boxed frame......Plus a factory installed weight-carrying hitch built into the frame.
       So revolutionary, much like my 20 year old disco..........lol

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

binch

Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Quote from: pechanec on April 14, 2017, 09:43 PM
Read something today which amused me, thought I'd share. This is an ad for " a heavyweight truck that can handle the toughest tasks. Cue the 2017 Ford Super Duty......Features a stronger, sturdier, fully boxed frame......Plus a factory installed weight-carrying hitch built into the frame.
       So revolutionary, much like my 20 year old disco..........lol

Your Disco has 440 hp and 900+ ft/lbs of torque, and tows 22,000 lbs+? Stock? Yours also has a drive train that won't eventually disenegrate under constant work load? Cool. Obviously a model I'm not familiar with.

Hehe, sorry for the sarcasm, but when it comes to work trucks I'll take US iron all day, everyday. Nothing designed in the UK is worth a sh*t in comparisson. Land Rovers are a blast and a great rig, but they aren't even in the same league as a US made pickup when it comes to work related vehicles.

As an aside the add sounds like every F-series built for the last 50 years. The main change with the 2017 Super Duty's is they have followed the path of the 150's, and swapped in aluminum to lighten them up, and modernized the cabs like the 150's. Generally still the same truck though. Oh, and the 6.7 Powerstroke of course broke the 900 ft/lb mark for torque.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

pechanec

Actually, the point is that Ford is 20 years late figuring out the boxed frame/ integral tow hitch idea. For all those years Ford's had floppy C-section frames, and a hitch had to be bolted on

Trevor

Ah, gotcha. True. One thing I have noticed is how much those two companies "borrowed" from each other during the time Ford owned them. You see a lot of tech and design overlap between the two even now, almost a decade since they parted ways.

Unfortunately the functionality of the hitch is rather lost on a Disco as the 1's and 2's can barely tow their own weight. Hauling similar weight loads I'd take an old Super Duty over a Disco any day. There is little comparison on the stability and reliability of the two when towing. American iron is just better overall when it comes to hauling. And, of course, it's REALLY tricky fitting a 5th wheel to a Disco! 

"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

pechanec

True, the super duty is a decent workhorse. I find the discos tow fine in the 2-3000 lb range, which is all a light 4*4 should be doing anyway. Unless we're talking heavy trucks, the trailer should not exceed the tow vehicle weight, regardless of mfg rating. A f450 towing 31000 lbs is absurd as is a 1/2 ton pulling over 15000. I notice the current Ford and Land Rover SUVs are almost indistinguishable!

Trevor

Yes, I think as SUV's go LR's new ones seem to be pretty close with the Ford, GM, etc...all the full sized that is. I agree that the SUV's are decent with lower weights, they handle that pretty well.

My last Range Rover Sport Supercharged that I had (2011) I outfitted with the hitch as I was pondering using it to tow my Disco 2 to Moab. That was just too much for it though. It would pull it ok in a striaght line as it had ample hp and torque to get it moving. But in any kind of a twisty road and the trailer felt quite unstable. A crosswind was especially bad. And holy crap would it suck fuel with that kind of load!

But a small tent trailer or similar would be fine and easy to handle. 
― George Orwell, 1984

pechanec

Yep to all those points