AMAZON CA ROOF TOP TENT

Started by roverwanabe, March 17, 2017, 01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roverwanabe

I know its not the $2500.00 type of tent, quality. but for $77.00 and a few uses a year.....   Something odd about this

https://www.amazon.ca/Tepui-Baja-Ultralite-Canopy-Green/dp/B01N7MEYE5/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1489779726&sr=8-8&keywords=roof+top+tent

Matt H

Wow. That's an amazing price.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

roverwanabe

I checked, and double checked, appears legitimate.  I have ordered several things on amazon.  Good prices and free shipping and you don't have to leave the house.  But, never saw anything like this before.

Trevor

Chinese crap. I'm guessing you'd have a lot of fun in that thing keeping it together, and the weather on the outside.

I'm not terribly surprised at the price, I see a ton of incredibly low priced Chinese sourced items across all spheres of the economy now. It's very common to see product well below their cost to produce. More so now as the Chinese government has extended/expand their export subsidization program (in civilized, free trade oriented countries, they call that "dumping"...sshh, don't let Trudeau know I said that, he'll be most irked I spoke poorly about our overlords).

The Chinese program works like this:

...Chinese company in applicable sector builds something for export
...sells it to a foreign buyer at set price based on cost+ calc, applies "discount" (10% to 40% range, based on industry) to "make the sale" 
...Chinese government grants a 10% --> 40% credit back based on cost+ calc, as an export credit
...end result is Chinese company just sold a product below cost on the market, but made full price with the subsidy from the government

One of the many reasons China should be completely shit-canned from the global market. Ultimately though we as consumers are the ones really at fault. We happily buy their crap because it's all about price, making sure we stay oblivious to what's really happening (because, you know, figuring that stuff out is hard!), and thus support their subsided, western-job-killing, money printing machine.

Buy...enjoy! It's all good!
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

headdamage

Says $6.95 shipping from NY.

roverwanabe

I can't remember the last item I bought that Was Not made in China.  Our slimy business community is bringing in containers full under the insulting " Can't afford Canadian wages" BS. 
I See tents on Allibaba, straight from China for $300.00 being sold $1400.00 by US markets.  They even use the same photos in their advertising.  I guess I am hurting the Canadian market by buying from overseas, but if I buy the same product here, I am still doing the same through Costco, Walmart, Canadian Tire etc. And being ripped off by them in the process.   This tent is an anomaly, as I have done Extensive research and this seems to be an error of some sort.  I ordered one just to check it out, if it only lasts a couple of years, then I will know.  As they say a $20,000.00 Car gets you to point B just as well as a $100,000.00 one.

Trevor

I spend a lot of time hunting down made in Canada, US, (or, well, anywhere that's not China is a good start) items when purchasing. It's tough, but doable. Example...I just bought a new water heater and although they had readily available made in China brands, they also had options made in the US (Alabama in this case). That's what I went with, had to wait for it to arrive, but I'm good with that.

Same thing with some hip waders I bought last year. Hunted high and low and pretty much everything is made in China now from any of the big names...except one brand that still makes them in Boseman, MT. Ton more expensive, but absolutely great quality and I'm doing my little bit to not support the China money funnel.

Bought a faucet last year, same story....finally found one that was made in Quebec (took a lot of hunting through the local stores). Price was pretty good too, and nice quality.

I don't buy suits, slacks or dress shirts that aren't made here from a tailor, or from Montreal or Europe. Chinese crap is everywhere, but I read labels and avoid it. It costs me more, but it's not always about price.

You can't avoid all of it, because you're right, China's craps has spread everywhere. But you don't change that simply by continuing to buy blindly.

It's all about small steps. They add up over time to big steps.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

roverwanabe

I agree, I don't really buy much, trying to reduce my buying so I don't have to go back to work.  Get my health back on track, a roof top tent on the Rover an head out where you can't buy anything and don't need to because you have nature and scenery.

roverwanabe

http://tepuitents.com/collections/3-person-roof-top-tents/products/baja-series-kukenam#
This appears to be the same tent, US $1450.00.....maybe the $77.00 dollar one is a sample, 6 inches long.

Rambler

I see the grey one is even cheaper.  Tempted to buy this for a laugh... it is the same as the rip off priced USA at >1400 usd  8)
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

Red90

I would not trust it is a real company. They just formed the account.  Most likely a fake account.

ugly_90

That is cheap. $77 isn't far off of where many Chinese tents are coming off on Alibaba. If someone shipped a container of rooftop tents they could perhaps make a profit. I would expect you to get what you paid for, likely Walmart-grade, and it depends on your perspective and needs. I think you'd be a bigger sucker picking up the same tent with a Motomaster or Powerfist logo on it and paying several times more.

There was a time when Japanese products were known as poor quality, and much earlier, German ones too. To win at industry, one must lose at war?

Red90

Having a closer look. At a 75 kg shipping weight and $6 shipping it is obviously a fake account. Don't waste your time as you will get to spend a bunch of time trying to get your money back.

roverwanabe

Usually Amazon is pretty reliable.  I have bought a few things off there, drum rollers for clothes dryer, repairman wanted $150.00 for 2!  I got 4 for $50.00.  Most tents from Aliababa are $300.00 to $500.00 US. Some are the exact same as being sold in US for $1500.00 to $2400.00.  I got an estimate on door to door shipping, $750.00 US for 1 tent.  Cheapest tent I could find in North America was one on EBay for $850.00 US

Red90

You are not buying from Amazon though in this case.  You are buying from someone that made an account yesterday and has no contact information.  I would suggest never buying from 3rd party Amazon seller unless they have feedback history.