It's Brexit vote day

Started by Trevor, June 23, 2016, 11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red90

What is most humorous is the panic when nothing has happened.  There was a referendum.  Before anything can change, a new government needs to be elected and then negotiations need to start with the EU and then something might happen.  This is a couple of years minimum if it does happen. 

Trevor

There's quite a bit of capital running for cover. The 3 largest property funds in the UK are experiencing a run on their deposits. To counter that they've frozen about 10 billion and aren't allowing withdrawls.

The real threat is in the European banks though. They're a pile of kindling waiting for a match. Deutchbank is so over exposed in the shadow banking sector, with unsecured dirivitive asset exposure estimated north of $50 trillion (edit: I had this figure to low in my original post, it is now corrected), that it would be under right now if it weren't for the ECB quietly propping it up. Every bank in Italy is basically garbage, and they also survive only because of european central bank support.

This is a pretty common theme in Europe, and that's what's got markets a bit on edge. The threat is always liquidity. In our fractional reserve system the minute money stops moving freely, the entire house of cards collapses. We saw that start to happen when Lehman went under...basically banks wouldn't pay other banks, and that very quickly exposes the extremely weak ones. That's when things like this start to get quite interesting. it's not about the politicians deciding how to have the UK exit the EU. Rather its about where capital sees the most risk leading up to that, and most importantly where it starts to run for cover. That's the spawn of a possible liquidity crisis.

This could get quite interesting long before the politicians even have a chance to meet. 
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

Well from what I see... life is going on as usual for the small fry and the steak and guiness pie is still a good deal at the George and Dragon pub   ;D

We are going to see some good prices on the last few orders I've placed.

One of the big problems we are hereing more about is the petty squabbling by inbred brits being bullies wanting to "send them all back" mentality.   That is truely a scarey few morons out there.     

But one things for sure...The brits will adapt to it  ;)
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Quote from: binch on July 06, 2016, 02:08 AM

One of the big problems we are hereing more about is the petty squabbling by inbred brits being bullies wanting to "send them all back" mentality.   That is truely a scarey few morons out there.     

It's rather ironic when you look at what's transpired. If the EU had a sensible immigration policy (i.e. one that did not force member states to accept immigration dictates from the Brussels bureaucrats), the UK would have likely stayed in the EU. It was probably the single biggest issue that pushed the "Leave" side to victory. However even in the early stages after the Brexit vote the EU is again pushing its open door immigration approach as a requirement for Britain should it want to negotiate a Norway-style agreement. Admittedly a non-started for the negotiations.

Unfortunately the political correctness of the day and the meme-don't-hurt-my-feelings younger generation has made it a bad word to be proud of your nation....or what you view as your nation. And that's really starting to stir people up, especially your middle aged and older individuals who most connect to a more traditional view of their nation. Brexit is a good example of it in action, as are the countless other nationalist movements gaining popularity throughout Europe. We also see it closer to home with the support Trump has generated in the US. There's a growing segment of the population that are tired of being told that believing, as an example, English Canada is a nation first and foremost of WASP's and/or or a melting pot of European-centric cultures, and that its culture as such is important and should be protected, is offensive and not accommodating to immigrants (or greater immigration) and therefore must be quashed and shunned out of public discourse. 

It does feel like it's getting ever closer to a tipping point in many places around the globe. It's a hot issue to be sure, and many are very passionate about their beliefs.   
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

headdamage

Seems like the all the members of the brain trust behind the exit are jumping ship now that they won and don't know what to do with the victory.

Matt H

For sure immigration had its part to play in brexit, but despite what the popular media would have you believe (with their interviews of neo-nazi types). From what I've heard from family and friends, for the 'common man' it's more about EU sponsorship of the dismantling of Britain. So many British and even international company's have left the UK with the help of an EU grant it's crazy. Nobody on the street really cares very much if the big shot business folks are worried about brexit. They have been watching that small section of society get richer and richer with EU deals while the average joe has been finding it harder and harder to make ends meet.

Even in our own small Land Rover world there is an example of this. The recent commitment by TATA (JLR) to build a new factory in Eastern Europe instead of the U.K. was aided by a EU grant.

On the up side Britain's traditional trading partners in the commonwealth (that the UK had to give up for EU membership) are already waiting to talk trade.

Trevor is right about demographic's though. Older folks who can remember life before the the EU took over remember it was pretty good really and how much has been sacrificed for membership. 
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Trevor

Quote from: Matt H on July 06, 2016, 12:32 PM
For sure immigration had its part to play in brexit, but despite what the popular media would have you believe (with their interviews of neo-nazi types). From what I've heard from family and friends, for the 'common man' it's more about EU sponsorship of the dismantling of Britain. So many British and even international company's have left the UK with the help of an EU grant it's crazy. Nobody on the street really cares very much if the big shot business folks are worried about brexit. They have been watching that small section of society get richer and richer with EU deals while the average joe has been finding it harder and harder to make ends meet.

Even in our own small Land Rover world there is an example of this. The recent commitment by TATA (JLR) to build a new factory in Eastern Europe instead of the U.K. was aided by a EU grant.

On the up side Britain's traditional trading partners in the commonwealth (that the UK had to give up for EU membership) are already waiting to talk trade.

Trevor is right about demographic's though. Older folks who can remember life before the the EU took over remember it was pretty good really and how much has been sacrificed for membership.

Many of the guys I know working in the trading industry have long referred to the EU as the "4th Reich". They use to term jokingly, but it's also a valid representation of what the EU has become. Germany couldn't conquer Europe militarily, so they did the next best thing, and conquered it bureaucratically and economically.

I've maintained from the get-go of the entire Brexit movement that the big loser will not be Britain at all. Rather it is the EU, and more specifically Germany, that has the most to lose. There could be a decent amount of turmoil along the way, but in the end I think the UK will be a far better place now that it can re-establish itself.

― George Orwell, 1984

Matt H

I think after all the Eurocrats have gotten over their hurt feelings and realize that they export way more goods into Britain than Britain exports to the EU they will put aside their ridiculas demands on immigration etc and start talking turkey. The U.K. Is just too big a market to shun.

And even if they do give Britain the cold shoulder so what? Perhaps the UK could start trading independently again and perhaps even produce some of the products it currently imports at home? Radical thinking I know. They just need to grow a pair and start taxing Chinese goods appropriately.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.