Shopping for an LR3/4

Started by SpeedyJ, May 30, 2016, 11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpeedyJ

Soooooooo, I've started shopping for an LR3 or LR4, and I can't help but notice that 2008s and 2009s are incredibly rare.

It looks like 2006s and 2007s are common, and run around $12k-$17k (a few are quite a bit higher, but I'm writing those owners off as optimists. I'd prefer to buy from a realist). 2010s and 2011s are sitting at $28k +. My budget sits somewhere between these two price points, but I just don't see anything out there.

I'm checking Kijiji, Autotrader, this forum, etc.... Am I missing a useful site? Is anyone on the forum looking to get rid of theirs?

Any thoughts on where all the 2009s and 2009s got to? Is the 2008 market crash to blame? Where new LR buyers disproportionately affected by the crash.  So weird.

Cheers

Jeff

Trevor

I would imagine the sale of units in our area did take a dip through the '08 -- '09 period. However another factor is likely quality. The 06's had teething problems as that was a new Disco design. By '08 they had worked some of those problems out and the vehicles were at least a bit more reliable.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Matt H

2010-11's are mostly leaseback vehicles or from owners that have deep pockets and itchy feet when it comes to new cars. A unfortunate few will be from those that can't afford the payments.

2005-7's are old enough now that longer term owners are looking get into something newer. 05's are the ones that had the most issues. 06 less so and by the time 07's came along they had pretty much got a handle on it. Any of these vehicles still in daily service will likely have any problems rectified by now.

2008-9 are in the expensive vehicle no mans land. At nearly $90,000 when new these cars still owe their owners some service. And realistically an LR4 isn't different enough from an LR3 to warrant shelling out another $90K just yet.

Give it another year or so. The new "big" Disco is scheduled for release this fall pushing the LR3/4 down the price ladder and more 07-08's into the second hand market.

Or you could buy my LR3  ;D 
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

SpeedyJ

Tell me more about your LR3 Matt.... Are you interested in trading for an '07 Dodge 3500 Cummins dually?

Once I clear out the Dodge I'll be ready to pull the trigger on the right LR3.

-J

Matt H

Mine is an V8 06 HSE, 7 passenger, but it's not stock any more. Has about 313,000 km (that is mostly Hwy K's from driving to Calgary-Med Hat) coil sprung +2" lift, rock sliders, ARB winch bumper with a 9,000lb Warn winch, fancy light guards that don't do much protecting of the $2600 light clusters but look cool anyway. 5 Aftermarket 18" wheels with Toyo OCAT tyres. Probably forgetting some stuff? We have owned it since 2009.

It gets regular servicing and is in decent shape.

SpeedyJ

Nice rig Matt.

I'm pretty focused on something with low mileage, I'm starting to get old, so I'm feeling entitled to something newish (or as close to it as I can afford).

That said, your truck intrigues me, you're welcome to PM me with a price if you have one in mind. I'd also be curious about your ownership experience and any tips you can offer that are specific to these truck.

Cheers

Jeff

Cruzer

Planned on trading my wife's LR4 into Land Rover in September if your still shopping then
62 000 km 2012 no mods other then rims and she has never seen mud (wife won't allow it )

90 % highway from cold lake to mountains to ski every second weekend if not every, lol

No idea how much they will offer

SpeedyJ

Cold Lake to the mountains every weekend? That's a lot of driving! We do Calgary to Pocaterra every weekend in the winter, and that's more then enough for me.

I'm aiming to get something in the next few weeks, so the timing probably won't work out. Plus your truck is still worth more then my budget would allow (fairly certain). I'm hoping to make the depreciation curve work in my favour.

Cruzer

Lol, all good

Planning on going mudding before I trade in

Lol

Mark

The LR4's 5 litre isn't a very reliable power plant. Water pumps and timing chains. Constantly. Once they're replaced, they're replaced again. Not all, but most. When I worked for LR that was about 70% of the shop's work.

The Jag V8 is fantastic in the LR3!

With that being said, have I got a deal for you!
1993 Range Rover County LWB - Ardennes Green
2006 LR3 HSE - Java Black
2008 LR2 HSE - Orkney Grey

1984 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2 - Guards Red

SpeedyJ

Hey Mark. Let's talk, I'll shoot you a PM.

Cheers

Jeff

Red90

SpeedyJ

It's a good review, but why does that presenter always seem so agitated?

binch

That's pretty high praise from THAT guy....the disco did well!!!

The sat nav.....usual complaint....it's piece of junk!!!     

But as a good all around vehicle they rate pretty darn good!

Do you LR3 and LR4 owners agree???? ;)
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

It's a fair evaluation. They are very good and extremely practical. My wife won't even look at another brand/model of car.
Limited Tyre size, colossal weight, high fuel consumption and difficult to modify would be my main gripes.