It's that time of year again...

Started by Trevor, March 10, 2016, 03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

Yes, that's correct, Easter Jeep Safari is closing in and we all know what that means...another round of cool project vehicles from Jeep. And since Land Rover hasn't developed anything cool or interesting since, well, Posh Spice took over, we can take solace in the fact that at least someone out there wants to entertain us gear heads with cool new ideas.

Here's what's been keeping the Jeep skunk work boys busy, and as always, you can see these on the trails in Moab at EJS. (wow, concept vehicles that work AND tying them to an event that speaks to your core. Maybe, just maybe, Land Rover might clue in sometime...or maybe not.)

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/03/10/easter-jeep-safari-wrangler-hellcat-concepts-official/

The Trailcat, btw, is very cool. Hellcat engine ported into a Rubicon...what's not to like! :)

"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

I wish it came with the real hellcat engine!    It aint a spit or a mossie but but it had torque

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_F6F_Hellcat
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Jeep isn't immune from lame ass vehicles. I draw your attention to the ultra crap Renigade and Cherokee somehow made "Trail Rated" by the addition of red tow hooks?

The Grand Cherokee is ok in a kinda sorta Range Rover Sport way. Meaning it's fast, comfortable and can handle what most buyers of these vehicles will throw at them, like shopping and grocery.  But are almost impossible to modify significantly.

Going to have agree with Trevor on the Trailcat Wrangler though. Under powered issue SOLVED!!!!
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Trevor

Quote from: Matt H on March 10, 2016, 03:29 PM

Going to have agree with Trevor on the Trailcat Wrangler though. Under powered issue SOLVED!!!!

Aye, that thing is a monster. It would be fun to see that in action...especially if it started spitting out parts with all that new found horsepower :)
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Trevor

Quote from: Matt H on March 10, 2016, 03:29 PM

The Grand Cherokee is ok in a kinda sorta Range Rover Sport way. Meaning it's fast, comfortable and can handle what most buyers of these vehicles will throw at them, like shopping and grocery.  But are almost impossible to modify significantly.

Completely off topic here, but I'm pondering getting rid of my F150 and picking up a new SUV again as a winter daily driver. It all depends on if I can find a decent used 3/4 ton though to replace the F150 as a haul rig for Moab.

But if this does move forward, the Grand Cherokee SRT is on my short list of vehicles to test drive. I'll post back here my impression on it as I've never driven one.

― George Orwell, 1984

binch

It's a buyers market out there for the 3/4 tons Trevor.      Let us know how the hunt goes!!!!    You looking at a diesel?
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Yes, ideally I'd like to find a diesel. And right you are, there's quite a lot out there these days!
― George Orwell, 1984

Trevor

I just stumbled upon this...

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2017-jeep-grand-cherokee-trackhawk-25-cars-worth-waiting-for-feature

I may just hold off and see how this unfolds. For a 4x4, I don't know that they will be able to solve the problem of getting all that torque to the ground without a big rework of their drivetrain. That's one dead sexy rig though and some monster power. The standard SRT8 Grand Cherokee is already in the same performance class as the Rangie Sport SVR, Beamer X6M and the Porsche Cayenne Twin Turbo, but at a fraction of the price. If they can get the power to the ground this Hellcat powered monster will blow all of those away and give Lambo's a run for their money. yum yum. That's worth waiting for methinks ;->
― George Orwell, 1984

Matt H

•Broken record: In 2015, Jeep did just that in the Europe, Middle East, and Africa regionâ€"an all-time sales record was set due to a 55.7 percent jump over 2014.

Meanwhile back at the Solihull ranch.........still waiting for any concrete news about the new Defender in what has to be the longest gestation period of any vehicle ever made! Seriously, they have been working on a replacement since the 80's!!!

The current generation of diesel HD pickups get horrible mileage.

Trevor

Quote from: Matt H on March 14, 2016, 12:28 PM

The current generation of diesel HD pickups get horrible mileage.

That's very good to know. I haven't spent much time researching them yet. Being that I want to keep the 3/4 ton expenditure down (I'll only really use it a couple times a year), I'm thinking I will probably be looking at rigs in the 2010 and earlier era.
― George Orwell, 1984

B-Red

The Dodge -Fiat diesel half ton is very good on mileage. However, it was having problem with the freezing temperature on the new environmental liquid. They offered new bra for the front of the truck on a recent recall.
My friend has been driving one for a year now and is happy with it.

Matt H

The little diesel only comes in a half ton and does get high 30's mpg if you use it as a car. Start using it as a truck or try and tow with it and mileage takes a serious dive.

If your shopping for a Dodge, the last of the Cummins 24valve 5.9's (05-06-07) were the best for mpg and are reliable and powerful. transmission proved weak if the engine was boosted (or not adjusted regularly) and all dodge front ends wear fast. Interior was the worst of the big3 in those years too. Silly tall. Rust.

Ford shopping........stay away from the 6.4 power joke. Last of the international 7.3l were as reliable as an anvil but not very powerful. Hard to start cold. The 6.7l is a techno wonder and works well, just pray it never needs work. axles are stout, transmissions are ok and interiors are nice. Also silly tall.

Chev. Awesome Transmissions. Any Duramax diesel is respectable in power and reliability. Has the best ride and good rear axle. Interiors (seats especially) are comfy. Stay away from the older 6.5l and certainly the boat anchor 6.2l. Weak IFS front axle (4wd). Dash issues and electrical gremlins. Rust.

I have no favourite. I've owned most of them. Worked on all of them. They all have their pro's and con's and really it's about condition. If it is purely a tow rig do yourself a favour and look for a 2wd 3/4 ton. You have less crap to wear out and maintain. They get better mpg. They are lower so you don't need a ladder to load the darn thing. They also handle better.  Most 2wd truck have, let's say, more mature prior owners and have been looked after well. You just need to peel off the stickers that match the old geezers 5th wheel.

As a comparison. I had an 2006 Dodge 2500 Mega cab 4x4 that got 23mpg in town and as much as 27 mpg Hwy.
Guy I work with has the same thing only in a 2010 model year. 16 mpg city 20 Hwy. And he needs def fluid that freezes. His interior is way nicer than mine was though.

Trevor

That's great info Matt, thanks.

You know, the idea of a 2wd hadn't crossed my mind at all. But you're quite right, for what I'll be using it for, that would be a good fit, and a better price point with less to go wrong. Definitely worth exploring!
― George Orwell, 1984