Looking for route suggestions to BCOR

Started by SpeedyJ, May 07, 2018, 01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpeedyJ

Hello all,

I'm thinking about driving my Series II out to the B.C. Overland Rally in July. Since it's a Series, it doesn't really go all that fast. My nerves can take short stretches of two lane highways, but I'd like to do as much of the drive on forestry roads and back roads as possible. I'm planning on taking three days to get to the event just north of Chilliwack.

So far I'm thinking of leaving Calgary>Longview>Hwy 40>Coleman>Hwy 3>Hosmer>Forestry Rd to Top of The World>Kimberley>Gray Creek Rd>ferry>Balfor

Any thoughts/suggestions on a route from Balfor to Chilliwack?

-Jeff

Red90

Try this site: http://www.graveltravel.ca  They have a cross Canada route that sticks to gravel as much as possible and they will send you the GPS file with a tracks and waypoints.  The route is not very direct, but might help with a few ideas.

FYI, the "road" along the west side of Top of the World is not maintained for around 20 km and there is a rough off road section around 5 km long.

SpeedyJ

Thanks John, I'll have a look graveltravel.

The last time I was near Top of the World was about 9 years ago, so the update is appreciated. I was on Gray Creek rd last summer, so I know what to expect there, same with hwy 40.

-J

Red90

I can't be of much more help other than one cool campsite near Kaslo is Milford lake. Way up a steep road.

http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/Mobile/Search/search-result.aspx?site=REC2111&districtCode=RDKB&type=Site

stretch1940

Hi  don't tell anyone but I'm from BC. I might a few different routes for you. 403 892 7108

bumpydormobile

I took my '67 IIA to Duncan on Van Isle via the Coq.  It wasn't too bad but I do have overdrive.  Keep in mind that the road less travelled has less help if you break down!
from Edmonton I went to Jasper, then to Chilliwack-ish then onto the island.  Don't worry about everyone elso on the road... there either assholes or they love old land rovers!

David

SpeedyJ

That's funny John, I actually stayed at Milford Lake in my LR3 last summer. It's a fantastic out of the way spot that made me wish I was a fisherman. We had no prior knowledge of the site, we were just chasing the tent icon on our BackRoads map. For anyone else heading that way - expect a bit of pin striping, we had to move a few fallen limbs out of the way, and there were more mosquitoes up there then most places.  The upside was that there was a picnic bench, quiet lake,  no neighbors (there are two sites) and very clean outhouse stocked with toilet paper.

The large piles of bear poo were a little concerning, so I protected myself the old fashioned way - I slept in the RTT while my friend slept in a small lightweight backpacking tent a short distance away. I figured it would give me enough of a head start if we had any visitors.

An overdrive would be nice to have, but I have a PTO that's occupying that space right now. At some point I'll need to re-prioritize things. If a used one came my way I'd probably install it, but a new RoamerDrive is a pretty serious line item that's simply not in the budget this year.

Breakdowns are always a possibility, but I like the idea that I can camp pleasantly where ever I've stopped. Plan 'B' is my mountain bike.

-J

Red90

Quote from: SpeedyJ on May 08, 2018, 09:50 AM
The large piles of bear poo were a little concerning, so I protected myself the old fashioned way - I slept in the RTT while my friend slept in a small lightweight backpacking tent a short distance away. I figured it would give me enough of a head start if we had any visitors.

We were there for 5 nights a couple of summers back.  Saw no people.  Did see a couple of black bears on the road when going in and out.

bumpydormobile

-J-
mountain bike huh...bears call that meals on wheels.

David

binch

Quote from: Red90 on May 07, 2018, 06:23 PM
I can't be of much more help other than one cool campsite near Kaslo is Milford lake. Way up a steep road.

http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/Mobile/Search/search-result.aspx?site=REC2111&districtCode=RDKB&type=Site

This looks like a VERY nice area!!
Cheers, Bill

SpeedyJ

Stretch1940 - I totally forgot that you'd posted your number here, I'd meant to call you a little closer to our departure.

We did end up going and I'm happy to report that my 57 year old Series made it to Hemlock Valley (Chilliwack) AND back. The only hiccup was in Grand Forks on the way back, I had a fuel starvation issue that was solved by blowing out the fuel lines. I suspect that the combination of vintage fuel line and a tank of ethanol laced fuel was to blame. I don't have an overdrive, so cruising speed was 76-84kph, as such, forestry roads were taken when possible.

Our route was as follows -

Calgary to Crowsnest via Hwy 40.
Crowsnest to Cranbrook via Hwy 3>Corbin Rd>Coal Creek Rd>Morrissey FSR>Hwy 3>Kikomun Rd>Caven Creek Rd>Gold Creek Rd>Cranbrook
Cranbrook to Rossland via Wycliffe Rd>St Mary's Lake Rd>Redding Creek Rd>Gray Creek Rd>Hwy 3A>Kootenay Ferry>Hwy 3A>Hwy 22>Rossland
Rossland to Christina Lake via the Old Cascade Hwy (not a highway as the name would suggest ;))
Christina Lake to Osoyoos via Hwy 3>Gibbs Creek Rd>McCarron Creek Rd>Hwy 3>Osoyoos
Osoyoos to Hemlock Valley via Hwy 3>Hwy 7

We attempted to use forestry roads to get from Keremeos to Eastgate (Cathedral to Manning Provincial Parks) via Ashnola River Rd and a decommissioned FSR, but in spite of our best efforts we had to back track 90kms and take the highway through Princeton. The return route was similar, but with a few twists.

This morning, Expedition Portal published their coverage of the event, using a picture of my truck as the lede - https://expeditionportal.com/bc-overland-rally/ , which is super cool.

Notes:
1. I averaged about 220kms to a 45l tank (ouch, considering we also had the LR3 with us).
2. It was hot! I don't have any sound or heat prtection in my series, so between the transmission, exhaust and ambient temperatures of 35-37C it was brutal.
3. My truck doesn't seal well, so the dust was crazy. Luckily i have an on board air compressor, so I was able to blow the dust of my gear each night.
4. I've posted some pictures of the trip on my Instagram account - @speedy_j
5. In BC (maybe AB as well, Chevron sells 98 octane ethanol free fuel. Which is very expensive ($1.67/l), so there's no surprise that my truck runs best on it.
6. I took four days to drive out aand three to come back (no wrong turns/deadends on the way back).
7. I've put a Roamerdrive overdrive on my Christmas list. I like the PTO, but the OD would be more useful. I'd take a Fairey OD if any club members are willing to part with one.
8. The truck has mostly original wiring, with all the heat and vibration it really should not have held up to the abuse....but it did.
9. the pace of the trip was super chill...until Calgary. Calgary is always a but of a jolt when returning from a long trip in the west. It's so damn busy and intense.

Anyway, old Land Rovers are fun, make some time to get out there and enjoy yours.

Matt H

Sounds like a cool road trip.

Perhaps the club should have a vintage leaf sprung run sometime? They are popular in the UK.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

SpeedyJ

It would be nice to at least get dome of the YYC based members together again sometime, leaf, coil or air.

While we were at BCOR we did a short timed 'trial' and had a ton of fun. Nothing like the UK trials, but it was a taste.