I Bought that Rover!!

Started by Already a Rover, May 29, 2015, 02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Already a Rover

Hi!  I was posting on here from Saudi Arabia, but cannot find any of those threads. 

Anyway, somebody was interesting in going fishing, and I'm trying like heck to get out this weekend; come back to me.  We can talk Rovers around the fire.

Pics attached, hope to 'meet' you all soon.

Jim

Matt H

Is that Fred's IIA? If so it's well worth the asking price.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

Quote from: Matt H on May 29, 2015, 05:32 PM
Is that Fred's IIA? If so it's well worth the asking price.

Yup....a lot of love and pride went into that vehicle of Fred's! ;)
Cheers, Bill

Already a Rover

Yes indeed!   ;D ;D ;D

Who's in Calgary?  I need some advice on how to replace the felts in the windows, and would generally like to meet-up with other Landie owners.  I'll also really try and make the gathering in Edmonton, but travel out of the country a lot. 

Who can make some suggestions about sound/heat-proofing?  It should be relatively easy for the payoff and since all is fresh and clean inside, very little prep required. 

Busy re-organising the garage to fit all of the spare parts Fred gave me.

Jim

Rambler

Hi Jim,
Great to hear you bought Fred's smart Series 2A.  If you are ever out this way (Regina) please let me know.  I have a couple of series in various states of repair!
Happy Rovering,
Ian
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

Red90

Quote from: Already a Rover on May 30, 2015, 04:52 PM
Who's in Calgary?  I need some advice on how to replace the felts in the windows, and would generally like to meet-up with other Landie owners.  I'll also really try and make the gathering in Edmonton, but travel out of the country a lot. 

Who can make some suggestions about sound/heat-proofing?  It should be relatively easy for the payoff and since all is fresh and clean inside, very little prep required. 

The felt is pretty straightforward.  You use flat strips of window felt, bend it and push it into the channel.  You can buy the correct parts for pretty cheap or look for a local alternative.  http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=16764

As far as sound reduction, it is best to read up and learn the basics so that you use the materials effectively without spending a ton of money.  There is a great place in Lethbridge that sells the materials.  http://b-quiet.com/

There may be a Calgary gathering next week.  I'll try and find out if it is still happening.

Already a Rover

Hi Red.

I hope there is a gathering.

Fred gave me the felts in channel form, which is what I am used-to using, and I can put them in no problem - easy as putting a hot dog in a bun!  My question is how to get the old stuff out - I don't want to just start prying, as the existing stuff is so rusted, I'm afraid it will just fall apart, but maybe that is what I have to do.

I'll have a look at the website.  I have experience from my other car - sticky rubber stuff on the floors and inside door panels mostly - and it seemed to work.  I know Dynamat is out there, but much more expensive.  Given the decibel levels inside the cab as well as heat from the engine, I'd like to do the best job I can.

Jim

Red90

Already a Rover

Okay - now I remember what else I was wondering about: how to get the window out so I can lay it in there?

Jim

Red90

Rambler

1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

Already a Rover

Hi - awesome links!!  I admit to sorta skimming, but I can print them out. 

I especially liked it when I read someone's comment that he didn't use any screws, but just siliconed in the channel - no holes, no leaks (ummmm, or maybe a drain hole or two??).

I too looked in a bunch of (Fred's) manuals after it seemed there were a couple of spots where the channel would not move, and eventually found one which at least showed one screw on each channel.  Things are sooo rusty in there, I couldn't tell if there was a screw or clip or what, but I guess if they are still holding that is a good sign. 

When it comes to ordering stuff, what R my options??

Thanks again,

jim

Matt H

If your a club member you can access BRITpart stuff for cheap or I believe TRS automotive in Calgary has Series parts/ can order Series parts.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Already a Rover

Hi.  Okay, I must get onto ordering a few parts.

I spent the last two evenings gouging out the channels on my doors.  Success - albeit slowly.  Some of the screws were so rotted it took 10-15 minutes to get them out. 

I have one fixed window which was cracked, so removed it also, meaning I had to drill out the rivets on the window locks (right?).  All-good. will have a new glass tomorrow and all will be replaced by the weekend with any luck, as it is prime fishing out West right now.

Thanks for your help!

Jim

binch

Cheers, Bill