Nice overlanding rig

Started by Trevor, October 16, 2017, 08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

This is pretty cool...

https://expeditionportal.com/mercedes-benz-g280-cdi/

Although this one is certainly for the well-to-do folk, or alternatively the sponsored overlanders, it is nice to see someone staying in the space. Hehe, and with Unicat responsible for the overlanding add-ons you know it will be a pretty penny, but very well done at least.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

correct me if I'm wrong but aren't bead locks illegal for on-highway vehicles?   It's a gray area for me...

But they do have some really nice ideas there. :)
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

I'm not sure Bill. I know a lot of guys that run them here, so I'm guessing not.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Trevor

I like how they did the water tank in the rear seating area. That's a good use of space. I wouldn't run the outlet to the bumper though, that seems too vulnerable to me. I'd be more inclined to port it out the side, up and away. A little propane water heater off the tank would be handy too, if it's not their already. Makes for a nice easy shower outlet beside the truck.

― George Orwell, 1984

Matt H

Some good ideas but all loaded up with camping gear, food and all that fuel and water it's gonna be a heavy beast.
I'd probably want to start with heavier platform than a G Wagen if I needed that much stuff and/or that kind of range.

Or the AMG G Wagen 6x6!
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Trevor

Quote from: Matt H on October 17, 2017, 12:21 PM
Some good ideas but all loaded up with camping gear, food and all that fuel and water it's gonna be a heavy beast.
I'd probably want to start with heavier platform than a G Wagen if I needed that much stuff and/or that kind of range.

Or the AMG G Wagen 6x6!

EarthRoamer!  ;D

https://earthroamer.com/xv-hd/

...although, yeah, that Mercedes 6x6 would be pretty cool too.
― George Orwell, 1984

Red90

When we were up in Yukon this summer, we saw a dozen different expedition rigs a day.  Most were from Germany and very well fitted out.  Everything from $100000 Defenders to million dollar Unimogs.  Our last day in the Dawson City campground, there were more overseas plated vehicles that ones from North America.

Trevor

Quote from: Red90 on October 17, 2017, 01:19 PM
Saw a few of these.  http://www.actionmobil.com/en/3-axle/global-xrs-7200

I could suffer through and settle for one of those too!  :D

If I was ever in the market for a high end "motorhome", I would lean towards something like this rather than the bus conversions. Your price points are going to be the same (500k and up) but the Unimog's, Actionmobile's etc have sooo much more utility and flexibility. And it's not like you're sacrificing comfort either.

― George Orwell, 1984

Red90

Except they are massive and you really can't go off road anywhere.  I'm not sure of the point of an expensive off road vehicle that can't go off road.

Trevor

No, they're not much for any serious off-roading unless it's open spaces. The Unimogs are darn capable, assuming they fit. Tight bush = very bad.

But unlike those bus conversions at least they can go down a dirt road without tearing themselves apart...or a speed bump at the local Walmart. That was more the point, the buses are highway only rigs...heck even the Forestry Trunk Road would rip them apart and pop screws out of their cabinetry like nobodies business.

The Mercedes I linked at the start is more in line with more extensive off-roading. Size does matter!  ;D

― George Orwell, 1984

binch

Portal axles and only half a million USD.... I'll take two! haahhahahha
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Not much point in portal axles or Unimog's if all you are likely to see is a muddy two track road if you ask me. I could get $1,500 1970's Dodge 2wd camper van down those kinds of roads.

But there seems to be a very lucrative market for that stuff.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Trevor

For a smidge under 500k US, you can go with one of these instead

https://www.entegracoach.com/build-price/done/

A bargain!
― George Orwell, 1984