Defender TD5 Rebuild

Started by grizzlychicken, April 18, 2020, 06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grizzlychicken

Quote from: binch on June 14, 2021, 08:05 PM
Are you going to put some sound absorbing foam around the tranni tunnel (underneath)?
Well I was thinking of putting dynamat on the interior under the carpet around the train tunnel and having the ashphalt on the exterior tunnel surface but I like the idea of dynamat on the exterior of the tunnel. Just wasn't sure it would hold up to oil and grime in there.
What did you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

binch

I have the full wright acoustic matting system.     https://www.britpart.com/all-parts/da1745black

And B-Quiet to deaden the sound in the cab...that and a ton of camping gear works well too LOL

I remember pulling a 1" thick, aluminium foiled liner out from the tunnel of a 90 years ago.   That seemed like a great idea for dulling the road noise.   I can't recall where it ended up going  though..... ???

And if all else fails....noise cancelling head phones  ;D
Cheers, Bill

grizzlychicken

Yup we do have noisy rides :) have a bunch of foil matting I was going to do to.

Have more bits in the paint booth.

Now to:
Epoxy prime/seal x3
Body fill
Fill prime x3
Wet sand 600
Base coat x3
Clear coat x3
Cut and polish

And repeat........................

binch

Nice!   Out of curiousity....what paint have you been using?
Cheers, Bill

grizzlychicken

Quote from: binch on June 24, 2021, 05:14 AM
Nice!   Out of curiousity....what paint have you been using?
Epoxy primer/sealer- pro form 2k 1:1

Fill primer dominion sure seal 4:1

Then basecoat is reduced 1:1. Not sure if the brand. It's a premium base from Calgary Bodyshop supplies

Then Bess clear coat 2k 2:1

I tend to get a nice flat panel after the fill prime and sand then get a little orange peeling after the base then a little more after the clear. I'm using a 1.4mm nozzle gun for the base and clear and a 1.8mm for the primer sealer and high build primer.  I'm sure a big chunk of the orange peeling is technique! It should polish out though and I'm told most resprays need a cut and polish and sometimes a wet sand with 1000/2000grit before polish depending on the extent of the orange peeling.

Red90

Possibly too late...  But did you consider just doing a coloured polyurethane instead?  It avoids the clearcoat and make future repairs easier.  Not as shiny, but makes more sense for people that go off road and scratch the paint as a hobby.

grizzlychicken

Quote from: Red90 on June 24, 2021, 08:53 AM
Possibly too late...  But did you consider just doing a coloured polyurethane instead?  It avoids the clearcoat and make future repairs easier.  Not as shiny, but makes more sense for people that go off road and scratch the paint as a hobby.
Hmm. No I didn't.
It had a Bed-liner paint when I got it cheaply and sparsely applied. I must admit I'm  not a fan personally of the raptor/bead liner/ textured finish myself. That's why I went with the base/clear route. Is the poly paint like the textured paint?

Red90

No.  Not textured paint.  Just polyurethane paint with colour. It is very common.  It is just not normally used on cars as people want the mirror shine you can get with a clear polyurethane top coat.

Made in Edmonchuckles.
https://www.endurapaint.com/products/topcoats/

mike.heathcote

I used Endura on both my Rovers, and am very happy with the results.  It's decent paint, at a good price. 
When I painted the Red one a couple months back, I paid $600, not including the clear coat.  Included reducer/hardener, a pint of white and I've still got a half-gallon of the red left over. 

The paint lays out really nicely, and with a couple coats of clear overtop it holds up very well in the sun (I posted pics in the club vehicles thread).

binch

Quote from: mike.heathcote on June 25, 2021, 10:39 AM
I used Endura on both my Rovers, and am very happy with the results.  It's decent paint, at a good price. 
When I painted the Red one a couple months back, I paid $600, not including the clear coat.  Included reducer/hardener, a pint of white and I've still got a half-gallon of the red left over. 

The paint lays out really nicely, and with a couple coats of clear overtop it holds up very well in the sun (I posted pics in the club vehicles thread).

What paint booth were you using there Mike????
Cheers, Bill

grizzlychicken

Quote from: Red90 on June 24, 2021, 09:51 AM
No.  Not textured paint.  Just polyurethane paint with colour. It is very common.  It is just not normally used on cars as people want the mirror shine you can get with a clear polyurethane top coat.

Made in Edmonchuckles.
https://www.endurapaint.com/products/topcoats/
Ah ok. Well I think I'm committed both physically and financially down this stream. I think it will turn out ok and my driving will be 80-90% on the tarmac anyway.....

grizzlychicken

Quote from: mike.heathcote on June 25, 2021, 10:39 AM

Awesome thanks mike. Looks great! As I just said to John though I'm  a little committed down the path I'm going now!

grizzlychicken

So shot some more color and clear and getting close!

My wife calls it "the Cookie Monster". I think the name just might stick.......

Doors are next!

mike.heathcote

Beautiful shade of blue! 

@Bill, a friend of mine paints for a dealership in Sherwood Park, so I was able to use a couple booths at his work.  Did the red in the main booth, and the white in one of the prep bays. 

binch

very nice indeed!!!!

Can you see that little spec of light at the end of the tunnel ;)
Cheers, Bill