Unexpected trip to the Crowsnest Plane Crash.

Started by Matt H, August 17, 2018, 11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt H

So...my wife and I loaded up the tribe in her LR4 for a day out in the Crowsnest Pass. The plan was to hike a trail or two.
When we hit Blairmore however we see a car show so we take time to stop and enjoy the various vehicles and eat at the charity hot dog stand.
Full of hot dogs and hot rods we drive off in search of the first trail...but then we spot a market. Back out of the car. Some shopping and wandering around the various stalls happens and we are finally ready to hike. Apart from the fact we are not.
A Twisted ankle put paid to that plan.
While considering what to do next I mention that the plane crash site is not very far away so we decide to check it out.
We have driven a few trails in the area before in the LR4 so, after a few wrong turns, we find the trail head. Proceeding slowly along the rock path being careful to avoid the hikers that look enviously at the leather seats and often comment that "that's the way to do it!" while we pass by.
After about an hour we reach the plane crash site to find two Jeep JKU's all dressed up for adventure with winches, roof tents, recovery gear dangling all over the place and big lifted suspension with 35" mud grip tyres. The look on the drivers faces as we approached in a bone stock modern Land Rover was first of astonishment then ,if I'm not mistaken, one of some significant irritation as I call out to my wife (who had already got out of the car to look around) that I had neglected to put the LR4 in the off road height setting and had unknowingly done the entire trail up with the car in street mode!
I had a quick chat to Jeep drivers about "safe" topics such as roof tents and they took off for a hike further up the mountain.
Upon the return leg we encountered a huge lifted Toyota 4Runner that also seemed a little surprised to see us? I had however put the LR4 in off road height by now.
Back in town we hit the 'Rum Runner' pub for a fabulous supper and a well earned drink. Later, before heading home we make a quick stop so I can check out an axle I was interested in buying. The guy I meet with is an avid off road enthusiast and his cash of pukka off road headwear and pile of DOM tubing attests to this. Anyway, he has heard that the trail out to the plane crash is set to be closed to 4wds soon. I remark that we had just been up their today in the Land Rover...more surprise looks! Somehow vehicles built for Starbucks set didn't compute in his Rockwell axled, four wheel steer, tube buggy experience.
Back on the road again the LR4 whisks us home to Medicine Hat in supreme comfort without any drama.
Great day out in a great family car.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

It is actually closed currently to trucks. There are no open trails in the parks to trucks. ATVs still have access north of the Carbondale road.

Matt H

No signage in the area to indicate this when were there? It was only a couple of weeks ago. Seeing as we were not the only trucks on the trail I wonder why it's not signposted more clearly? Shame it's closed but I'm not surprised.

It would certainly be a long trek up the hill if you're on foot. We saw nobody on foot anywhere near the top. Bikes, sidexsides and quads (and Jeeps) only.

Matt H

I wonder why it's closed? It's not "that" difficult or chewed up a trail obviously as I was able to drive it in a bone stock LR4 in street height with no off road settings selected.

Red90

It is closed because it is a Provincial Park. No parks allow off road use. They have allowed some ATV access for three years to minimize the death threats.

They never add signage to these type of parks but are quite happy to fine you.

Matt H

That's Sad. Now it won't get visited as much.

SpeedyJ

I'm in Crowsnest this weekend and was thinking of heading up there.

John, I'm looking at the map you posted and the road appears to be a designated OHV route all the way to the crash site, what am I missing here? I'm kind of a rule follower, so I'd mountain bike up there normally, but that's not going to work for my arthritic parents.

-Jeff

Red90

Yes, OHV (off highway vehicle).  In other words, not highway vehicle.  If you have an OHV, you can drive there for the next two years.

SpeedyJ

Right. That makes sense. I was thinking binary - motorized and non-motorized.

Matt is right, there is no clear indication as to what is allowed up there.

Red90

It is the new normal. They close the areas to trucks completely and limits the OHVs. Trucks are an easy target.

Red90

As far as signage they never add signage to these wilderness provincial parks. It does not stop them from fining you though. You are lucky if they even put up a tiny sign at the park boundary.

Matt H

The existing signage in the area that I saw was damaged, vague in the extreme and dated 2014. But in no way does it give the impression that trucks are not allowed to be on the trails.
If the authorities don't feel obliged to put up new signs they should at least remove or update the old ones.