300 TDI Induction manifold

Started by Trevor, June 05, 2016, 12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

I'm in the process of replacing my exhaust manifold gasket on the CT (300TDI), and in the process have found that the induction manifold has a fair bit of oily soot in it. Here are a few pictures.

Ports 1 & 2 on the induction manifold (the other 2 are the same)

Looking into the manifold...its not the best picture, but I was shining a flashlight in the ports so you can make out the oily soot inside as well.

Ports 1 & 2 on the block

Ports 3 & 4 on the block

I'm going to remove the existing gasket and clean up the faces as per the workshop manual.

I'm curious though, that looks too oily/sooty to me, and am curious what the typical causes of that are? Also, is this an indication of other possible issues?

As a bit of background I have no idea when/if the induction manifold or intercooler have ever been cleaned. My guess is they have not. It had a turbo replaced at about 66,000 miles (it's now at 110,000), but I see nothing else in the service history indicating that had any additional work done in this area.

Worth noting, several of the bolts on the induction manifold itself were loose before (I had tightened them when I first noticed an oil leak around the first port of the induction manifold, which ultimately got me to this point).

As always, any insight is appreciated.

I'm still in the process of tearing things apart so if you need additional info/pictures, let me know.

"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

The oil comes from the PCV system and is normal.  Do you have a functioning EGR as well?  The combination is the perfect mix for soot buildup in the intake manifold.  What I see, though, just looks like normal PCV oil.  With the EGR, you can completely plug off the intake.

Trevor

Ah, ok, that's good to hear John.

I did have an EGR on when I got it, but that was one of the first things I removed. However it would have spent about 90,000 miles of its life with one on, so that would help explain the build-up.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Red90

On the older VW diesels, the intake builds up to the point that it is almost blocked shut in 100,000 km.  What you have is nothing...

binch

HOLY CRAP John!!!!!    You should dig that out and sell it by the barrel!!??!?!

But your explaination sound very sound to me ;)
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Lol, yeah, that's a bit more significant than what I'm seeing!
― George Orwell, 1984

binch

They should put THAT pic on the cigarette packages....! 8)
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

I had the same worries with my 300tdi and not being particularly familiar with later Land Rover Turbo oil burners I asked Dave L and he gave me the same answer. Hard to believe four small cylinders can coke up so quickly.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.