exhaust coating

Started by ugly_90, May 29, 2016, 11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugly_90

I had most of an exhaust set for my 110. It was in reasonable shape, aside from some moderate corrosion at the pipe to muffler welds, and some severe corrosion at the tailpipe where the rear bracket sat.

As they were straight, decent, and genuine, I brought them in to a GP shop for blasting and coating. They have a special powdercoat for high heat, available in silver or black. I chose silver. This shop does plenty of oilfield industrial work, and a few restorations for vehicle collectors bringing in steel. This wasn't their first exhaust, and I was concerned about it flaking off under heat. He assured me that it would work well, and offered a warranty on the work of a year. All in, it was $150 plus tax for the two pieces, less than I expect replacement shipping alone would be from the UK.

Gardenome

Looks really good. My exhaust is in pretty rough shape. Wonder if this would work for mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B-Red

This looks great. Is it similar to galvanizing or would it flake off after couple of years with rust?

Curious if I could use it on Tigger and my lightweight.

binch

How well is the coating going to last under the truck, expecially on gravel roads though..... ???

All that considering a regular steel exhaust cost around $80 plus shipping ....maybe total of 160 bucks for a new system.    If you get rid of the silencer in the middle and put a straight through it's a bit less.  If you go for Stainless steal the price start to double.

So....there's your choices....repair  or replace with new. ;)
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Exhausts normally corrode from the inside out.

Red90

Quote from: B-Red on May 29, 2016, 12:23 PM
This looks great. Is it similar to galvanizing or would it flake off after couple of years with rust?

Curious if I could use it on Tigger and my lightweight.

Most normal exhausts are aluminized.  Galvanizing would burn off too easily as the melting point of zinc is very low.

I run a regular 300TDI exhaust it still looks like new 10 years on and as Bill says it only cost a few dollars brand new.

ugly_90

That's cheap shipping for such large pieces, no import duty applies for the local work either, only GST. The rear exhaust on that 110 is about 1/2 the length of the truck. Most exhausts that are driven do rot from the inside out, due to trip driving, and not getting the exhaust to temperature. On mine, it was sitting for a decade on dirt, so a different corrosion pattern was there.

Most of my cost was the sandblasting. I'm not equipped to blast pieces that large. A fellow could likely have a much better rate if he did his own blasting, or if did all his blasting on a restoration at once in a batch job with a discount blasting shop.