Towing a series with a A bar

Started by Cruzer, May 25, 2016, 01:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruzer

Picked up a 1960 88 this evening from meadow lake and decided to use A Bar to tow her home. I placed transfer case in Neutral and trannny in Fourth. 15 minutes down the road I stopped to check everything(well maybe welds on bumper where a bar mounts), and noticed transmission came out of fourth. I put her back and fourth and stopped 10 minutes down the road to find her neutral again. I only had 100 Kms left but decided to disconnect shafts and tie them up.

This was my first time towing with A bar set up. Did I miss something here, everywhere I read they say just put transfer case in neutral and trans in fourth.

88 has been sitting for 20 plus years in shed and no history on her other then she was running when parked(funny everyone says that about old cars sitting for years)

binch

If the t case is in neutral why would you put the gearbox into gear......  ???

Did you check the bearings before towing it?    Been an awful long time since they have seen a service......... ::)
Cheers, Bill

Cruzer

You got me about transmission in fourth. Lol I was told that by a guy in Calgary years ago when I bought my first Land Rover 88. Seemed to work except for last night.

Everything seemed to be tight and both diffs had fluid. Highway 55 is a nice slow paced road.

Cruzer

I don't think I would use A bar in highway 28, I would be ran off the road pretty quick. :)

ugly_90

Ech. Sitting for 20 years. You plan to do a frame off rebuild on that one then? For reliability alone? I bought a 110 that was sitting for 10 years, and every part that you'd expect to suffer from that is failed. Sitting is very hard on vehicles.

I prefer to rent a two-axle car hauler for that move, I find the Uhaul ones to be the lightest and lowest. A bit of a hassle to deal with them, and about $80/day, if I recall.

Cruzer

I have a 62 88 I plan to tear down with the son and rebuild with all original equipment so I'm just gathering parts as I come across them.

I have a car hauler just figured I would try out the A bar towing technique. One day I plan on towing my 66 with disco to one of your adventures.

binch

Quote from: Cruzer on May 25, 2016, 09:28 AM
I have a 62 88 I plan to tear down with the son ......

That's a great idea...good on ya! ;)
Cheers, Bill

ugly_90

Glad to hear of your plans.

You might want to reach Malcom after your list is complete. He seems to have a large cache of series NOS and used parts there. There was another fellow here on the forum, from Saskatchewan I believe, with a collection of NOS surplus series parts.

Matt H

I towed my Lightweight with an A bar. Transfer case in neutral and gearbox in neutral is the way I've always done it.

It was pretty scetchy towing it with the Mighty Range Rover on the #2 Hwy, Friday night, rush hour as it would push the truck all over the road.
Towed it with my 06 Dodge 3/4 ton and didn't even know it was there.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.