VNT turbo kit

Started by Cruzer, May 17, 2016, 04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruzer

Okay I have been trying to order a stage three kit from allard for a month now and I'm giving up on them. I was thinking to go with allisport. Does anyone have any wisdom on these turbo upgrades or a ideal place to order a complete package.

My 300tdi has lag I'm looking at getting rid of.

Red90

Everybody sells the same turbotechnics kit.  Alliisport, Allard are just reselling the same thing from the same supplier.

Red90

Have you tuned up the current system?  There is a lot of free power available from the stock system.

Cruzer

Oh yes I have maxed her right out.

Red90

Do you have good black smoke off boost?  To reduce lag, you want to be well fueled off boost.  What rpm is boost starting and when does it peak?  The VNT will just get you a few hundred rpm of boost, but won't give you any more power.

Cruzer

I have a bit of black smoke but not much, boost seems to kick in at around 2100 rpm and Max psi is 14. I just have standard gauges, not digital so hard to pin point exact numbers.

Red90

You should start to get some boost by 1500 rpm with it being near peak by 2000 rpm.  You may need to find a good hill and a high gear to slowly accelerate to see this.  You want some black smoke before you get boost pressure.  This really helps with torque before the turbo starts to work and helps get it to boost a bit earlier.  There should not be much smoke on boost, or you would worry about EGTs getting too high.

headdamage

I can feel the boost coming on at around 1600 rpm or so in my stock 200tdi, it is fully on before it hits 2000 rpm.

Cruzer

Mine starts at about 1700 but jumps at 2100 with a puff of black smoke and EGT temp spikes quick to 13

Cruzer

Just to clarify this lag only is a issue on pavement. I have recently pulled two of my buddies F350 truck out of the mud with allot of people standing around in amazement as Disco pulled them out with no wheel spin and pulled like a dozer. A jacked up dodge 3500 chipped out tried to pull them out and failed. Lol

Red90

Turn up the off boost fueling a bit (screw on top of boost diaphragm).  It won't affect fueling on boost or peak EGTs, but will reduce the lag feeling some amount.

Otherwise, keep engine speed over 2000 rpm if you need power....

A VNT will help. You will get boost a bit lower, but it an expensive option to avoid shifting.  They do allow higher boost and thus fueling if you were interest in higher power.

There is no point in a bigger intercooler unless you want to run a lot higher boost.  The stock one does all that is needed for the stock boost levels.