CLUTCH, CLUTCH and more CLUTCH

Started by roverwanabe, May 16, 2016, 04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roverwanabe

Well I have taken the MASTER and the SLAVE out of my 109.  The Clutch is all Series 3.
I was hoping that this was the problem, but I got a feeling there is more.  The reason is that when I push on the RELEASE LEVER, where the slave would push it, it moves freely.  I'm thinking that this should not move at all or be very difficult to move with one finger.  I'm thinking there is something else inside, throwout bearing or ??? whatever.

It would be nice if someone who can tell a bit more about it could have a look at it.  Just asking incase someone with that kind of experience happens to be passing by St, Albert.  I may even have some spare part that they could drive away with.

Red90

The slave pushrod pushes on the clutch release fork.  The fork pushes the release bearing that releases the clutch pressure plate.  It will all be free to move until the fork reaches the point that it is pushing on the pressure plate.  How far in does the end of the fork go before it hits something?

roverwanabe

There doesn't seem to be any resistance at all.  When I push it from the front it seems to go all the way, aboutan inch or two???

Red90

You need to look at if the slave with the push rod will have any travel from that spot or not.

Red90

It can be a bit hard to tell if what you see is normal or not across the internet.  The slave cylinder does not have a lot of travel.  You need to see if the assembly when installed puts the cylinder mostly retracted or extended at the point you get resistance.

roverwanabe

I guess what I see as a problem might be normal to the trained, experienced person.  I think I will put it all back together, with new seals and all and try to set it up and then test it.  Maybe that will show something.

Matt H

You won't be able to release the clutch by hand unless something is seriously wrong. There isn't much actual movement at the pressure plate anyway, it just feels like there is in service because of of the ratio afforded by the pedal. What you are describing may just be what Red90 suggests. The distance before the release bearing contacts the spring. After that happens it will just feel solid as the spring would not be compressible by hand.

Perhaps if you start by describing what the problem was that led you to remove the master and slave cylinders it will give us more to go on?

I'd take a look as I'm pretty familiar with Series stuff but I'm way down in Medicine Hat. A little too far for house calls.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.