LED Headlight Comparison

Started by Red90, April 25, 2016, 01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red90

A nice current comparison of 7" round LED headlight.  Possibly helpful for people thinking of going that direction.  Their channel also has detailed reviews of each light in its own video.

Matt H

Interesting. I've been considering LED headlights for the Mighty Range Rover for a while now but it's an expensive proposition.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Trevor

That's good info. I really should upgrade the headlights on the Defender. The lights are new, but the original type, so not that potent.

"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

It is nice to see real side by side comparisons of the beam patterns and light outputs.   It would be really cool if they would also do the better halogens and the real HIDs.

Certainly of the LEDs they tested the Vision X is by far the nicest. Too bad it is so pricey. Best bang for the buck still looks like the Truck-Lites.

One day I'd like to see how they compare to the Truck-Lite halogens I'm running.

binch

If you drive you landy in the winter the LED's have trouble keeping the ice/snow build up melted off.   Really bad on tail lights!
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Quote from: binch on April 27, 2016, 12:16 AM
If you drive you landy in the winter the LED's have trouble keeping the ice/snow build up melted off.   Really bad on tail lights!

Truck-Lite has a model with a heated lens.

Matt H

Question. I've noticed that many of the 7" replacement headlight options are listed as common to both the Jeeps and Defenders. So would a stock 7" Jeep headlight fit the Land Rover I wonder? 

I've noticed a glut of low priced, good used Jeep JK headlights for sale lately. Owners (with deeper pockets than me) are swapping out the stock units with LED lights and selling the factory lights. Now I realize that the JK lights are not exactly brilliant either but from what I've read it seems a simple bulb upgrade improves things dramatically and frankly anything would be an improvement over the current lighting in my poor old Mighty Range Rover.

Thoughts?

Red90

The JK stock light are not supposed to be very good.  The ones I have were OE for an H2 and are quite nice.

The first thing to add is relays. The stock wiring takes a lot of power from the lights.

B-Red

The LED technology is not as straight forward as halogens or xenons. You have an electronic driver behind it. Depending on how the factory clocks it, you are too bright short life or dimmer light and long life. Colour of light makes an impact too. Cool white or warm white. Then the big one: life cycle and replacement cost. A halogen is worst case ten dollars or maybe more for a xenon. An LED HAS NO SPARE PARTS. if it gets damaged you replace the whole unit.
Then comes the impact of electronics on power quality. Yes, they generate harmonics and that affects alternators and wiring.
Any retrofit should consider the whole electrical circuit.

Matt H

Hmm, GM H2 lights eh. Not considered them before. Thanks.

Red90

I've liked them. I had Hella ecodes before and these are as nice for light. They are fully waterproof with a sealed connector and oring on the bulb. Plus they have a nice long life bulb. They are made by Truck-Lite.  You used to be able to buy them for pretty cheap but the current one sold by TL look different. No idea if they are as good. Here is my review. Might help in a junkyard search.

http://www.red90.ca/rovers/Bright_Driver/Lights.html

Red90

If you want new, the best bang for the buck is the Hella ecodes with relays.  They are around $110 for a pair.  The only downside I found was they can get water in them if you play submarine.  Other than that, they have great light and are well built.

https://www.amazon.ca/002395801-Vision-Halogen-Conversion-Headlamp/dp/B001G72SKQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51Japi47DSL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=RQ3VWT64M2GRXJNM9DMZ

http://www.paddockspares.com/boomslang-performance-headlight-loom.html

Matt H

As a rule I don't take the Mighty Range Rover into seriously deep water if I can avoid it. I won't say it's never happens but I do like price of those.

binch

Deep water...?   No...I don't drive in deep water either 8)
Cheers, Bill