Loss of Power

Started by JohnnyO, April 12, 2016, 06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnnyO

I can't get the 90 up past 80 kph.  It ran fine yesterday. This is only my third day with it. I drove it home from Edmonton on Saturday and cruised along effortlessly at 115. Now it struggles to accelerate. This is a 300 Tdi and it's been sitting for 3+ years so who knows.   Anyone have any words of wisdom on where to start looking?

JohnnyO

Ok so just took her for a drive. If I reach down by the accelerator and pull on the cable she takes off like a champ. Kinda hard to watch the road when yer drivin like dat eh. Anyway is there a way to take up slack in the cable. It has fitting on both ends.

Red90

Change the fuel filter first.  Not unlikely it got plugged up.  BOSCH 1 457 434 106, early 80s VW diesels.

You could make sure the lift pump has not died at the same time.  Disconnect the wire from the injection pump so it won't start.  Open the bleed nipple at the fuel filter and crank the engine.  If the lift pump is working, you should get a good flow of fuel.  You need to do this after swapping the filter anyway to clear the air.

Have you put new fuel in it since you got it?  No accidental gasoline?  If still on the old tank, fresh fuel and diesel fuel conditioner can't hurt.

Beyond that, are there any weird noises like turbo whine or air escaping?

I could help troubleshoot on the weekend if you want.

Red90

Okay scratch all that.....  There should be an adjustment on the engine end...  Let me see if I can find a picture...

Red90

See the attached screenshot.  Turn the plastic knob 1,3 to tighten the cable.

JohnnyO

Brilliant John thanks!  I adjusted the cable to remove the slack and the accelerator pedal sits much higher off the floor now.  The odd thing is there's no locking nut. The adjustment is just a plastic 'nut'. It's going to work itself loose again so I'll need to keep looking for a permanent fix.

Red90

It should not work loose.  They are all like that and I've never seen one loosen off.  Maybe a bad cable?  You could run a zip tie over the adjuster if it continues to happen.

JohnnyO

Yup that'll work. ...and I'll remember that little adjustment when my kid turns 16!

binch

Well that was a "HOLY CRAP" moment John!?!?!?!?     Major panic attack there....... :o
Cheers, Bill

JohnnyO

I'll say.  I was beginning to wonder what I had gotten myself into...   All good now and the grin is back.

Trevor

Quote from: JohnnyO on April 13, 2016, 05:53 AM
I'll say.  I was beginning to wonder what I had gotten myself into...   All good now and the grin is back.

Hehe, well I wouldn't get too settled. What you went through on the drive home is EXACTLY what owning a Land Rover is all about. This is the start, not the end  ;D
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Matt H

Indeed. With most cars you have to make do with a radio for in car entertainment. But since 1948 Land Rovers have had features like "guess that noise?" and "will I make it home?" and my personal favourite " I thought I already fixed that?"  to keep drivers entertained.

Truly a brand ahead of their time.

Anyone can drive a boring reliable car, only Land Rover owners can experience a true adventure every time they turn the key.

;)
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

John has been driving a Defender as his daily driver for years.

Trevor

ah, well, he's well indoctrinated into the Order then.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

JohnnyO

Yes...and before the Defender my DD was a Series III.  ;)  Which BTW isn't recommended - high maintenance and SLOW.  I'm hoping this latest purchase will fit nicely between the classic SIII and the previous garage queen NAS.  :D