Fridges

Started by binch, April 10, 2016, 04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

binch

Emad and Trevor,  What fridge do you have and why did to decide on that model?    Any thing you'd like to do different now????
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Go to the Expedition Portal forums camping section. You will find detailed reviews on every fridge around and where to buy them at the best prices.

binch

The link wasn't working when I tried it so I'll have to wait and go back later.
Cheers, Bill

Red90

I did not provide a link....  Hang on.....    :P

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forums/30-Camping-Equipment

ARB and Engel are "the" fridges, but there are other choices that are nearly as good for a less money.

ugly_90

UK Cases in Edmonton is the distributor for this area. I priced out their expedition cooler, and it was much less than the big box outdoors stores.

Their website shows several Engel models, you might start with a quote for what you want, and compare elsewhere.

B-Red

I got ARB. It has proven record for quality and low energy consumption on standby. However, if you are camping for a weekend, the fridge is an overkill. An ice box will do fine.
Besides you will only use it for two to three weeks a year. Pretty pricy option if I was to do it again ;-)

Trevor

I've got an ARB, very happy with it. Great for day trips in Moab (ice cream on the trail!) and all things beyond. I use it for weekend camping and prefer it to a cooler as it allows me to keep my ice for my rye (kept in the cooler) separate from my food (kept in the ARB). I use it as a soda/beer fridge around the house too if I have a lot of people over.

Why did I choose ARB? Its one of the better ones available. I also got a very good deal from a friend down in the US who gets them wholesale. Picked mine up at his cost.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

What I have written down when looking for a decent deal was the Indel B.  Same performance as an ARB at 2/3rds the price.

http://www.equipt1.com/item/travel-box-50-liter-fridge-freezer 
http://www.equipt1.com/Downloads/Indel-B/Indel%20B%20Travel%20Box%20Test%20and%20Comparison%20Report.pdf

When I lived in Ozzyland, I had a 3 way.  It was fantastic.  You could buy a used one for a few hundred bucks.  Plug it in while driving and turn on the gas when camped.  Ice cold all the time and hardly used any gas.  No worries about running down the battery.  For some reason decent ones do not exist on this continent and I was stupid enough to not bring it back.

binch

Quote from: Trevor on April 10, 2016, 08:05 PM
I've got an ARB, very happy with it. Great for day trips in Moab (ice cream on the trail!) and all things beyond. I use it for weekend camping and prefer it to a cooler as it allows me to keep my ice for my rye (kept in the cooler) separate from my food (kept in the ARB). I use it as a soda/beer fridge around the house too if I have a lot of people over.

Why did I choose ARB? Its one of the better ones available. I also got a very good deal from a friend down in the US who gets them wholesale. Picked mine up at his cost.

"move away from the ice...  Do it NOW!!!"     Leave the rye ice alone and nobody gets hurt!      ;D    Very fond memories around the fire at the end of  grueling day on the AMT.   I laugh every time I think of that......

I realize you both went with ARB but what size did you go with?     I'm putting together another xmas list ;-)
Cheers, Bill

Red90

If you go down that road, Bill, you really need to look around.  Retail in Canada for an ARB fridge is a 4 digit number.  http://www.4wheelparts.com/eSearch.aspx?Ntk=primary&Ntt=arb+fridge

binch

Yup, you're right John.   But we can do much better  8)
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Quote from: Red90 on April 10, 2016, 08:06 PM

When I lived in Ozzyland, I had a 3 way.  It was fantastic.

;D
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

Trevor

Quote from: binch on April 10, 2016, 08:40 PM
Quote from: Trevor on April 10, 2016, 08:05 PM

"move away from the ice...  Do it NOW!!!"     Leave the rye ice alone and nobody gets hurt!      ;D    Very fond memories around the fire at the end of  grueling day on the AMT.   I laugh every time I think of that......

I realize you both went with ARB but what size did you go with?     I'm putting together another xmas list ;-)

Yes, the ice was as good as gold out there!  ;D

I've got the 47L size Bill. When I bought it I wasn't sure if that would be big enough, thinking the 60L might be the better option. But thus far I haven't found myself wanting additional space, there's a lot of room in there for food. I think the 60L and larger are a good choice for those that plan to load in beverages (beer/soda) as well as food, which I don't do.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!