Batteries?

Started by headdamage, April 04, 2016, 03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugly_90

I'm looking at Northstar AGM batteries now. Available in GP and Edmonton, they have higher capacities than the Odyssey, Optima, and Exide's. The Northstar is about $100/ea. more than the Optima.

Northstar is an independent US company making batteries there. I have seen these in use lately at Telus cellular sites.

The extra unneeded CCA's translate into greater storage, and longer discharges. I expect automotive adjustable current and voltage limiting modules could be installed on either side of the battery, to control float voltage, limit charge current, and ensure discharge current cuts off after a low voltage setpoint is reached. This is the same way that a properly designed DC UPS works at a remote communications site.

http://www.northstarbattery.com/

Trevor

If they're made in USA, that would be a big draw for me to look at them. Good find, thanks for the info!
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

ugly_90

A product like the smartgauge, ctek, or other multibattery controller would ensure they were properly charged/discharged. There seems to be many marine and automotive products on the market.

Of course physical cutoff switches or road-mobile approriate breakers would be a good additions too.

My application here isn't "pie in the sky", but is much closer to the way a fire truck or ambulance might be setup.

headdamage

The AGM ultra XD top end battery at Canadiantire is a Northstar.

ugly_90

Yes, I think you have it here.

-The Eliminator AGM Ultra XD looks to be made by Northstar.
-The Eliminator Spiral seems to be made by Exide as the Orbital.
-The Eliminator Ultra Flat Plate seems to actually be the Exide Edge.

Supposedly, CT has many of their high-tier batteries made by Exide,  I would expect CT's entry-level batteries are made overseas and sent over by the seacan.

I would also expect Sears DieHard batteries to have a good OEM like Exide, interestingly, they aren't available in Canada, and in the US only. This would give reason to believe CT has an exclusive deal with Exide for department store sales in Canada.

I'm waiting for the high-tier CT batteries to go on sale! Should be big discounts over labelled genuine!

SpeedyJ

Are the CT Eliminator Spirals available again? I have a 6-7 year old one that is awesome. I ran it in a '91 Land Cruiser for 2 years, then pulled it out, after that it kicked around the house unloved. I'd drag it out to boost a vehicle once in a while, but generally neglected it. For the last two years it's lived in my '61 Series II. It sits for long periods of time and ties up every time. I'd buy another in a second.