Series 2 handbrake shoes?

Started by Chad M, March 26, 2018, 10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad M

Is re-lining handbrake shoes the only option for the early Series?   I can find plenty of '64+ shoes but nothing for the earlier vehicles.
On that note, has anyone had any luck reshaping the later shoe to work in the early assembly, ie: pattern the new to look like the old... there certainly looks to be enough metal there.

Thanks for any insight.

Matt H

Last set I bought for an early S2 I got through Craddocks but that was about five years ago.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

pechanec

An outfit like Edmonton brake and clutch should easily be able to reline shoes if they are in decent shape. Cost is usually not obscene

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

Rambler

Hi Chad
I fitted the usual series 2a shoes from britpart to my 1961 series 2.  I wasn't aware of any difference as the oily shoes I removed were a match fir the new ones.  Maybe this is wrong, but it works as far a I can see (not yet in the road)
Ian
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

Chad M

As it turned out, I found some brake lining and rivets from a friend and set about re-lining the brake shoes myself.  Turned out pretty good.  @ Rambler, the Series 2 shoes have a half-round on the adjuster end, whereas the 2a and 3 have flats on both ends.  The 2a shoes are physically slightly larger than the S2 part.  For what its worth, I couldn't find handbrake shoes from any retailer, it's probably worth hanging onto your old one's from here on in  ;D

Chad.

Matt H

I have also switched backing plates and used the later pattern brakes before. I like to renew the brake hardware on a restoration anyway.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Rambler

Quote from: Chad M on March 27, 2018, 09:10 PM
As it turned out, I found some brake lining and rivets from a friend and set about re-lining the brake shoes myself.  Turned out pretty good.  @ Rambler, the Series 2 shoes have a half-round on the adjuster end, whereas the 2a and 3 have flats on both ends.  The 2a shoes are physically slightly larger than the S2 part.  For what its worth, I couldn't find handbrake shoes from any retailer, it's probably worth hanging onto your old one's from here on in  ;D

Chad.

Hi Chad, thanks for the helpful info.
Ian
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

Already a Rover

DIY is good!  FWIW, I had mine re-lined with softer material, so they grab easierly.

Jim

Chad M

To do it again, I would use the softer grey brake lining and then I would use the glue to bond it.  There isn't any reason to use rivets, especially on something like a hand brake that doesn't see abuse like the wheels.

88Hillman

Jim,

Where did you have your park brake shoes re-lined with the softer material in Calgary? That sounds like a great idea.

I've got extras of brand new shoes, but with larger tires and 4.10 gearing I'd give the t-case brake every advantage possible.

Cheers,
Kirk